Injury-hole in crop, contents coming out

Momma-Hen-Misti

Songster
Aug 29, 2020
SW Missouri
Friday night, came home to an injured 1 year old (May 2021) EE hen. Put her in a crate in the garage where it is dark & quiet with food & water. She's missing a little skin on her shoulder area & meat showing, missing several feathers from back of neck & saw feather/skin hanging from neck/crop area. Sprayed with Vetercyn & got her to drink some from syringe. I kept hearing a weird gurgling noise that made me think injury to crop. She lived through the night & was way more alert yesterday. (Saturday) Last night (24 hours after injury) She was given hard boiled egg yolk & she was going to town on it. I mixed some vitamin & electrolytes up & put in her waterer. It has an orange color to it & I noticed after she took several drinks, liquid was dripping onto the pad she was standing on. I hollered for my husband so he could verify I wasn't losing my mind. She took a few more drinks & more liquid came out. At this point she's got quite the puddle & then CHUNKS of that egg yolk fell out onto the pad. I looked at my husband & lost it. I HATE the thought of culling her, especially since she is alert, walking around & is eating & drinking. We haven't looked at her crop injury...trying to let her rest & heal some. Now that we've let her rest again overnight, what do y'all suggest? Besides getting a good look at the injury & see how big the hole is...With the size of the chunks that fell out, I'm not thinking it's anything small but I could be wrong. That egg yolk was in nearly 5 minutes before falling out & I'm not sure it would've all fallen out if she hadn't drank as much as she did. Let's say we try to close up the crop wound, what would we use? && where can I find it? HELP! Snapchat-139492515.jpg

A vet to sew up her crop would be best. If her crop is damaged, she will die of dehydration and lack of food. It would help to see how large the wound is and if it can be closed. The crop consists of a layer and the skin over top, and both need to be closed. Some use superglue to close crops, but a vet can suture it closed if it is not to badly injured. This is an emergency, so don’t worry about stressing her. Spray Vetericyn on her wounds, or a disinfectant such as chlorhexidene. Plain neosporin ointment is good to use on wounds, but don’t put it on her crop.

Back
Top Bottom