Injury, how to go about it?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by the Precious Ladies, Oct 30, 2011.

1. the Precious Ladies

the Precious Ladies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Maryland
    This is Journey, today I noticed blood behind her comb and a bleeding scab on her feet. Are they just from a pecking fight/ accidental injury/ dry air or from something else? How should I go about it? ( right now it is really dry and cold-ish, around 30 degrees faren.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    For something like that I'd spray the lesions with BluKote and see if the others didn't leave them alone.

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Looks like she got into a scuffle with someone. Clean both areas with soap and water, or you can use betadine tea to clean it, or you can use peroxide to clean it ONCE (not more than once because peroxide wreaks havoc with healing). Then you can apply some Blukote to the areas to hide them. You could use Neosporin, but then you will need to keep her separate until she heals because the other birds may see the wounds and start picking on them. Blukote is my personal choice because it works well and allows a bird to return to the flock sooner than without.

Good luck with her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by