Injury I can't figure out!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CaityS, Nov 9, 2014.

1. CaityS

CaityS Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2014
    I have an injured bantam and I can't figure out exactly what is wrong with her. I can't tell if she got beat up by another, larger hen or if it is something she did to herself. The day I found her she was at the bottom of the coop ladder just sitting there. Earlier in the day I had seen her walking around and acting normal. I tried to encourage her to walk into the coop to roost, but she wouldn't move. I decided to bring her in that night to give her some time to rest. I have had her resting since Wednesday. When I brought her in I gave her food and water and she ate normally, but would not stand. I felt all around her and I don't feel anything broken. She can move both her legs and grasp my finger with both her feet. However when I try to stand her up, she falls to the right side. I would say she broke her leg, but I can't feel anything and she can move it. I also thought she might have injured her back, but wouldn't that prevent her from moving her legs and head? She appears alert and coherent. I just can't figure it out. I am desperately trying to find a vet in my area that will see her. However with the holiday I afraid it will be a couple days before I can get her seen. My new concern is that since she is sort of immobile, that she is not getting enough nourishment. Can I feed her with a syringe to get some food and water in to her? How would I do that?

One of the pictures shows her on her side. That is what happens when I try to stand her up. The other picture is how I have her. I wrapped a rolled up towel around her to keep her upright. Otherwise she just rolls over.
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  2. WildWyandott110

WildWyandott110 Chillin' With My Peeps

do you think she has a broken leg?

3. CaityS

Feb 20, 2014
    Maybe...but if her leg was broken, would she be able to move it?

4. WildWyandott110

WildWyandott110 Chillin' With My Peeps

she might.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry about your little Mille Fleur. Mine is special to me. How old is she? Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? I would keep her i a small area like you are doing to let her rest the leg. If a cage is possible to be with her friends in the coop and run, I would put her there so that she doesn't lose her place in the pecking order. Keep her food and water close, and put some poultry vitamins in her water each day. If you have B Complex you can crush or dissolve one of those in her water or food daily. Vitamins deficiencies can cause leg problems, but she may also have either gotten a bad sprain or a break. Mareks disease is different in each case, but lameness progressing to paralysis in a leg or wing is common, and a loss of balance when trying to walk, using the wings to help keep from falling over. You could try a sling with her to keep her upright and rest her leg, or just let her be the way she is. Two or more weeks is the minimum time for a broken leg to mend. Look at post #4 in this link for some ideas on chicken slings: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/936070/broken-leg-please-help#post_14319335

6. HelenDescoins

HelenDescoins Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2014
    Durban, South Africa
    Generally chickens are VERY tough creatures that don't show much pain and easily get through their day, even with a serious injury, so she would most likely be able to move it if it was broken.
    Try almost, gently messaging her saw leg to see if the are any noticible lumps, at the same time with the one leg that isn't hurt to see if there is a difference.
    If it hurts she'll try moved it and get away or make a nice etc.
    If there is a lump or it is saw, gently rub some arnica onto the leg and if you have arnica pills give her some if that, it has instructions on uses for animals on the back. Then, rap a smallish bandaid around the whole leg and every now and then ice it for relief.
    Try and get her NOT to move it a lot while it's healing.
    Good luck, really hope it heals quickly!!

7. CaityS

Feb 20, 2014

I believe she is about a year old. I got her about a month ago. I do not know if she has been vaccinated or not. Would Marek's disease show gradually? Cause this happened all of a sudden. I put her out every morning in a small area so she can be near her chicken friends and then bring her in at night. I will get the vitamins you recommended. Should I try to use a syringe to feed her? I haven't seen her eat or drink recently, but she seems to have energy.

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Mareks can show gradually or suddenly. It's never the same in every chicken, and symptoms will vary in every case since there are 4 types. Hopefully, she has something else going on. Does she have any other symptoms at all? It's very important that she drink, so I would try putting some water into a small amount of feed to make it mushy. This may entice her to eat, and offer her a little chopped egg. A dropper or syringe may help, but I prefer to try holding a small cup up to the beak and offering water to see if they will drink. You can also dip the beak into the water. Be careful to only give her a few drops at a time with a dropper, so she doesn't aspirate. Tube or crop feeding can be done if you need to go that route. Here is a little information to read on Mareks disease:
    http://extension.unh.edu/resources/files/Resource000791_Rep813.pdf
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq
    http://partnersah.vet.cornell.edu/avian-atlas/#/disease/Marek's_Disease

9. CaityS

Feb 20, 2014
    Just an update. My little Mille Fleur is doing great! I took her to the vet and he wasn't sure what was wrong with her either. However a little over a week later and she is totally fine. Out and about with the flock. :)

10. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I'm so glad to hear that she is all better. Sounds like she just had a temporary injury. Thanks for the update.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by