1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Injury on back of baby hens head. Seeking advice on healing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Horsebackgurl98, Aug 20, 2018.

1. Horsebackgurl98

Horsebackgurl98 Hatching

Aug 20, 2018
    I added 2 young hens to a older established flock and one of them got beat up so we took both out and now we have one in a pretty bad state. Could anyone give me some advice on how to tend to her wound?
    Still eating and drinking on her own. Even laid an egg after being taken away from her abisrer.

Attached Files:

2. Flockandfowl46

Flockandfowl46 Crowing

Mar 28, 2018
    Southwest Virginia USA
    That's one of the worst hen pecks I've seen in a while...i would keep the area clean and put triple antibiotic without pain relief on it twice a day and check her very regularly for fly strike and definitely keep her separate for healing. You may need to separate the mean hen or find a new home for your injured one

Edited: careful not to get anything in her eyes while cleaning

to BarbsGirls likes this.
  3. Horsebackgurl98

Horsebackgurl98 Hatching

Aug 20, 2018
    Thank you! We have two sperate coops. When she's able she will go back in the coop with her sisters. We tried to intergrate her with the year olds.

Flockandfowl46 and to BarbsGirls like this.
  4. Horsebackgurl98

Horsebackgurl98 Hatching

Aug 20, 2018
    Also how do I keep the skin from dying.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Free Ranging Premium Member 7 Years

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would get some Vetericyn Wound Spray to use twice a day on the wound. Plain antibiotic ointment (Nesoporin/Triple Antibiotic) is also good to use twice a day. Do not use BlueKote on a deep wound like this. I had a bad wound like that on a polish hen who was hurt by a young cockerel, and she recovered well in about a month of treating the wound. Get a wire dog crate with food and water, and try to reintroduce her to the others when she is better. New chickens will almost always be attacked by an established flock. Good luck.

6. Horsebackgurl98

Horsebackgurl98 Hatching

Aug 20, 2018
    Day two

Attached Files:

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Free Ranging Premium Member 7 Years

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Are you using antibiotic ointment? That would is deep and it looks like a bit of bone is showing, so it will need the Neosporin. You can get a few tubes of TripleAntibiotic Ointment for a dollar a piece at Dollar Tree. Those wounds can heal well with a few weeks of treatment and care. Does she seem to be acting normally? Is she eating and drinking okay?

Flockandfowl46 and to BarbsGirls like this.
  8. Horsebackgurl98

Horsebackgurl98 Hatching

Aug 20, 2018
    Yes eating and drinking normally clucking at the other flocks. Walking around her little coop. Yes it is very deep they pecked her to the skull. Luckily we got her out any longer they would've gotten to her brain and killed her.(the hole in the middle luckily it's solid and not squishy like brain would be.)

Eggcessive and to BarbsGirls like this.
  9. Horsebackgurl98

Horsebackgurl98 Hatching

Aug 20, 2018
    Day 3

Attached Files:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: