Injury or Marek's?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mommyheim, Nov 10, 2016.

1. Mommyheim

Mommyheim Just Hatched

Sep 12, 2016
    Dottie is 20 weeks old, not laying yet. 4 days ago I noticed her limping, almost falling over when she tries to walk, and her wing drooping. She eats and drinks. I don't see any bumps or lesions. I've been reading about Marek's but she doesn't have any other symptoms. She moves her neck, her eyes look normal, no heavy breathing. I did separate her today because some of the other girls were picking on her. (They hadn't up until this morning). I'm leaning towards an injury but I'm scared it may be Marek's and I didn't separate her until today. None of my other girls are showing any symptoms. I also don't know if I should keep her indoors or would she be okay over night in a dog crate in the run? I live in New Jersey and it is about 40 degrees here at night right now. How can you tell the difference between an injury and Marek's?

2. Mommyheim

Mommyheim Just Hatched

Sep 12, 2016
    [​IMG]
    This is Dottie. You can see her wing just hanging. Maybe I should ace bandage it and see of that helps her.

3. Mommyheim

Mommyheim Just Hatched

Sep 12, 2016
    [​IMG]
    Here's a better picture

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It won't hurt to bring her inside to watch her more closely. Offer her some poultry vitamins in her water, and offer some chopped egg with her usual feed. I also like to add some plain yogurt or mix it in the feed for probiotics twice a week. While Mareks may well be a problem, dehydration from an illness or maybe coccidiosis can also cause lameness and drooping wings. Moldy feed, botulism from eating a toxin in dead animals, and an injury from a fall or attack may also be the problem. Is she eating/drinking or having any diarrhea or blood in her droppings? Make sure that she can reach her food and water. Chicken slings or chairs, or a rolled up towel can be used to position them upright to reach food and water.
    Mareks has 4 different types, not all symptoms are seen in each bird, and she is right at the age that it can be common. Here are some of the best links to read more about the disease:
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/90/mareks-disease/
    https://extension.unh.edu/resources/files/Resource000791_Rep813.pdf
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq

1 person likes this.
  5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Here are several different types of slings for chickens with immobility problems:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by