Injury or something worse?!?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by fuzziecreatures, Jul 30, 2013.

1. fuzziecreatures

fuzziecreatures Chillin' With My Peeps

1) What type of bird , age and weight
    Salmon Faverolle, hen, 18 months, approx. 4-5 pounds.a

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    Normal, unsure if laying regularly

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    Started 7/28 pm, noticed a little swollen left eye while on the roost. 7/29 am, still slightly swollen acting normal. 7/29 pm, more swollen, no eye/nasal discharge, no sneezing/coughing. 7/30 pm, eye very swollen, holding shut while on the roost. When opened eye there was foamy white discharge at the corner of the eye. no nasal discharge, no sneezing/coughing, is shaking her head.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
    No other birds with symptoms

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    None known, there is a pecking/feather picking issue going on. using No Pick Lotion, but didn't start until tonight

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    Usual trouble maker is isolated in "jail" for another 4 days, so it wasn't her

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    Eating layer pellets, scratch with BOSS, table scraps, free range from 7am to 8pm

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    Normal
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    None, cleaned eye with saline
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird until you can get to a vet?
    Treat myself
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    [​IMG]Normal right side, no swelling

[​IMG]Left side, swollen face, white foamy stuff

[​IMG]After cleaning the eye

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
    Concrete shed, pine shavings as bedding fluffed daily, changed when needed. Roost is wooden, painted, nest boxes and upper roost covered with rubber matting and scraped daily, washed down weekly.

I'm really hoping that it is just a pecking injury, bee sting, etc. Should not be an infectious disease. No new birds introduced from outside of the flock. (paranoia with infectious diseases) When I took care of another woman's chickens for 3 weeks, I washed all of my clothing(changed)/footwear when I left her house.
    If it is an infectious disease.... what do I do? I have 61 birds and 5 chicks hatching this week! She free ranges my entire yard! Please help!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I have salmon faverolles so i know that they can be picked on easily by other chickens higher up in the pecking order. Hopefully it is a peck wound or injury. Still you have to be careful about respiratory disease since facial or eye swelling is common. There is a rare problem called eyeworm,that causes a cloudy gunky eye, extreme itching where a chicken can actually scratch their eyes out. She could have a staph infection from a wound which could be treated with an antibiotic such as penicillin or sulfonamides. Many respiratory diseases can be treated with Tylan 50 either as a shot in the breast muscle or by mouth 1/2 ml per day for 3- 5 days. Does she have any rattles or wheezes when she breathes or get excited?

3. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    I'm not sure but here's my 2 cent's worth anyway... Her cheek looks swollen, and after you cleaned the eye it looks like there is a wound below the lower eyelid, but the photo's too blurry to be sure... Stab wound? Sure is a strange one. Anyway, best wishes.

4. fuzziecreatures

No rattles or wheezes.

5. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Overrun With Chickens

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    I had a roo with a very similar infection. I went to the chemist and got some over the counter antibiotic eye drops I also used them on a goat with a terrible case of conjunctivitis . Whatever the cause it does look inflamed and sore, so I would separate her from the others and treat with antibiotics.

6. GranmaEm

GranmaEm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2013
    Manhattan, NY
    This looks like Mycoplasma with a sinus infection.

Tylan works well: - my neighbour had a chicken with this and the vet injected her once and I have her another injection 5 days later. She is happy and laying again.

7. fuzziecreatures

I was going to pick up some antibiotic eye ointment today and separate her when I get home from work tonight. I'm really hoping it is just an eye infection from an injury and not a virus! I was thinking of starting hatching next year to sell chicks and hatching eggs...

Off to work I go!

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  8. Fancychooklady

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    Tylan and erythromycin are macrolides, both are useful in combating mycoplasma . They are gram positive antibiotics.

9. fuzziecreatures

I have her separated for the last 2 days. She has gotten 2 doses of the eye ointment so far, was going to use it for at least 5 -7 days. Still no sneezing or nasal discharge, hoping more likely injury.

10. Fancychooklady

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    That's great news.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by