1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Injury or tumour? Lump on back

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Fllight, Oct 23, 2011.

1. Fllight

Fllight Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2010
    Hello,

I wonder if anyone can tell me what to do please.

One of our girls (about 18 months old) has developed a large lump on her back. I didn't notice it till I saw her feathers wouldn't lay flat this evening, and caught her to have a look.

It's huge - there seems to be a sort of scab-like, cankerish area with a lot of dried earth on top of this so the whole thing is like a small tennis ball.

She seems normal in other respects, I can't tell if she is laying or not as her eggs are like one of the others. She seems cheerful though, not moping around, eating Ok I think.

There was a rat in a few weeks ago that may have bitten her, I didn't notice any blood at the time but there were feathers everywhere - but then all of them seem to be moulting at present.

I don't know whether to bring her indoors and wash off the earth, or assume it is a tumour of some sort and she might be in pain - should I take her to a normal vet? We don't have a poultry vet here.

I don't know what to do, so any help much appreciated.

Thankyou.

2. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    A picture would help [​IMG]

3. Fllight

Jun 4, 2010
    I was about to take one, and our friends showed up, so it's too dark now - I will take one tomorrow and try to post it up here.

Thankyou [​IMG]

4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I'll bet you are not dealing with a tumor but with an abscess. They are very common in chickens. Get a pic to show us to confirm it. Good news is she's probably going to make it. Bad news is you will likely need to lance it, and that isn't going to be particularly fun for anyone involved.

5. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    You don't have enough posts yet to put up a picture (you need 10) so, go of and post a bit, then come back. Hope your bird gets better! [​IMG]

6. Fllight

Jun 4, 2010
    Oh, Jeez [​IMG] I'm so not excited about that. Not at all.

I wonder what the vet would charge to do it for me.

Thankyou...

(would anyone like some chickens? I don't know if I am up to this after all!)

7. OvertheHenHouse

OvertheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    San Diego
    Quote:I think Flight should be able to post pix. I was able to post pix in my introduction, and it was my first post to the forum...hmm...

8. Fllight

Jun 4, 2010
    Crossed posts! Thankyou so much. I'll post some more before I try and add pics [​IMG]

I hope she will be Ok. I will seek out my protective clothing and gloves.

what on earth would I use to lance it, you may need to talk me through it!

9. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Quote:You are totally up for this. It's really not that big a deal. It's a messy nuisance, but not so hard. You have an entire forum to support you through it. [​IMG]

10. Fllight

Jun 4, 2010
    Thankyou. You are a very sweet bunch of people [​IMG]

Mary (the chook) will be very grateful too, I'm sure. She's a Rhode by the way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by