Injury-Possibly broken leg?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Crash450, May 17, 2010.

1. Crash450

Crash450 Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2010
    New Middletown, Indiana
    About two weeks ago i saw some guys at WalMart throwing a chick through the air to prove they cant fly. One of the guys went to catch it and swatted it out of the air in which it hit the ground pretty hard. The poor little thing sat down and refused to move. I then learned these idiots have been giving the chick large ammounts of Wild Turky whiskey. I bought the poor little thing off of them. "He would not walk, he would lay on his chest and kick off with his good leg and slide to where he needed to get to. Carlos" has been living in my room now for 2 weeks. He has gotten much much better. He now walks on both legs and can jump small heights. I am only concerned that he will be picked on. he is a EE looking bird, not really sure what breed exactly but I would guess EE. Is there anything I can do to help him recover faster and when should I re-introduce him into the mix with my other girls? he is roughly 2-3 weeks old.

2. Crash450

May 16, 2010
    New Middletown, Indiana
    Sorry about the double post, this computer is not the best.

3. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

should have called the police and had the fools arrested for animal cruelty. At any rate, I'm glad you saved the little one and hope it heals completely. Keep him separated from your other birds for at least a month if you possibly can. Try giving him some yogurt and scrambled egg for a protein boost now and then. You didn't mention the ages of your other chickens; if they are adults, I'd introduce the new guy/girl slowly. If they're around the same age, it may not be very difficult. Good luck. [​IMG]

4. watersoflethe

watersoflethe Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Corona/Mira Loma CA
    omg
    i would have called animal control on them too
    thank you so much for saving the poor thing.
    i hope he can get integrated into the crop well.

i also would try the egg especially some yolk. that seems to help my chicks that are filling a bit weak.

5. Crash450

May 16, 2010
    New Middletown, Indiana
    hes my baby lol. Im actually going to be sad when he has to leave my room. I clean his box about 3 times a day to keep the smell down lol.

6. Gonzo

Gonzo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    OMG! Those A**hole! I being the hot headed one that I am would have [​IMG] them! Then called the police! Those jerks! I'm sooo glad you were there! I'd give it some Poly~Vi~Sol without iron in its water, and spoil it! offer some plain or flavored (minus the chunks of fruit) in its chick feed. I hope it bounces back!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by