Injury to hen's comb

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by heybarb, Jan 20, 2013.

1. heybarb

heybarb Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    North Carolina
    So late yesterday afternoon, our favorite hen was pouring blood from her comb. I'm assuming it was an injury from our fairly new, young rooster. There was blood everywhere from her shaking her head, and it was literally pouring off her beak. Her white feathers are reddish black from blood. It really scared the kids (and me!!), so I brought her inside and we managed to get the bleeding to stop with cornstarch after trying to apply pressure and using cold water. Her comb appears to have a large gash on the top part of her comb, but also seems to be pulled away from her "scalp" at the top of her neck. Last night we kept her separated and this morning she's eating and drinking as usual. It seems the corn starch worked! Whew!

My question is "Is it smarter to keep her separated from the rest of the flock and if so, for how long?" My son suggested that we lock up Reggie (the cockeral) since he was the "bad guy" - kind of like Time Out...what do you think? FYI The other hens all have small, healing wounds on their combs too. Thoughts?

2. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    If your cockerel is that rough, it is a good idea to separate him. Sometimes roosters are super rough and mean, and some are quite gentle with hens. He may be always rough, so I suggest you put him in a big crate in the same pen w/ the hens, so he still sees them and has company. You can put some neosporin on the scabs (non-pain reliever kind) and keep an eye on her.

3. myfinefeatheredfriends

myfinefeatheredfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Ohio
    I'm sorry to hear about your hen! Yes I'd separate him and if you try to put them all together again, make sure you keep a close eye on him so he doesn't do it again. You could try applying Blu Koat to the comb (available at most farm stores or poultry suppliers). It will cover up the wounds so they heal AND prevent the other chickens from pecking the wounds. Hope she gets better soon!

4. heybarb

heybarb Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    North Carolina
    Thanks! Our chickens are free range and our run is not complete yet. So far I've kept her separate from the roo. She's in a dog crate most of the time and when I let her out I make sure he's put away. It's working for now! Plus it gives her a chance to heal some more. She looks & acts pretty normal today which makes me happy. Maybe I'll put her in the coop tomorrow night....Is 3 days/nights long enough?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by