Injury to pullets beak

Anastatia_S

Songster
Apr 22, 2021
a couple of weeks ago I noticed my salmon faverolle pullet had a faint black mark down her beak but didn’t think much of it at the time. Over the past week or so it has turned into what I assume is a bruise? And when I went out to check on the chickens earlier I noticed she has what appears to be a tiny amount of blood at the top of her beak. Her behaviour is completely normal and she is eating and drinking fine and doesn’t appear to be in any pain. Does anyone have any clue what this could be?

Attachments

• 034F9A19-BB8E-4F1D-9FF8-E5AAF68F7004.jpeg
    034F9A19-BB8E-4F1D-9FF8-E5AAF68F7004.jpeg
    406 KB · Views: 13
Well, it looks like a crack in the beak to me. But if it does not negatively affect your pullet, then I would not worry. Someone else asked about their rooster that had broken its beak off and would it grow back. From the reading I have done on the internet, it appears that chicken beaks grow like fingernails, and it takes about 6 weeks to completely regrow their beak. This injury to your pullet does not look too bad and I suspect it will be totally forgotten in weeks.

Well, it looks like a crack in the beak to me. But if it does not negatively affect your pullet, then I would not worry. Someone else asked about their rooster that had broken its beak off and would it grow back. From the reading I have done on the internet, it appears that chicken beaks grow like fingernails, and it takes about 6 weeks to completely regrow their beak. This injury to your pullet does not look too bad and I suspect it will be totally forgotten in weeks.
Thank you for the reply, I was worrying about trying to find a vet that would deal with chickens. But this has put my mind at ease a bit. I’m hoping that it will heal fine and continue to not be a bother for her.

Back
Top Bottom