injury to quails toe *PICS*!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by thenewbckyrdchicknfrmer, Jun 19, 2009.

1. hello evveryone, I was just out looking at my quail and i noticed one has a big blakish thing on her toe, it looks to be infected and swollen, I will get pics either later today ot tomorrow, i dont know what to do, shes eating and drinking and acting normal, what do you guys think it is and what can i do to heal it? there on a wire floor cage but im upgrading them to a bigger cage on the ground in about a week. Thanks

here are some pics. sorry there so blurry she wouldnt keep still! it looks like it has gotten better in 2 days but itd dtill swollen and infected,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2009
  2. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    You may have to lance it and give the bird antibiotics.
    I'd separate and monitor her.

3. hello, what kind of anoitics should i give her? Thanks

4. ya chick ya

ya chick ya In the Brooder

Jun 19, 2009
    somewhere.. \-_-/
    i have a chiken trac.... quail tractor and once i accitdentally ran over one of my quails toe and that day it looked fine but the next i was horrible it was black and sorta green and seemed like a couple scales were knocked off and i thought it was gonna die but within a week or so it just healed right up:thumbsup

5. PurpleChicken

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    The first type would be a local. I'm hoping Monarc or AhappyChick
    will see this thread and comment.

When I say local I mean a creme like Bacitracin.

6. ok, would neosporin work? without the pain killer? if so , would i lance it get all the gunk out then apply the cremem then put her in quarantine?Thanks for the help

7. PurpleChicken

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
  8. ya chick ya

ya chick ya In the Brooder

Jun 19, 2009
    somewhere.. \-_-/
    quail are pretty hearty birds but just in case u prob want to use something like neosporin and if it gets worse u might need to do a lil bit of amputation
    eww
    nattie

9. hello everyone, I can't seem to find the quail with the injured toe but when i move them into there bigger enclosure (hopefully soon!) i'll take a look.Thanks

EDIT: spelling

Last edited: Jun 20, 2009
  10. Hello everyone, im going to take pics. tomorrow, if i do need to lance it, what type of antibiotics should i use and what are the supplies i would need on hand? THanks everyone

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: