Injury to wing

mwetzel

Hatching
Sep 21, 2020
20200921_185534.jpg

As you can see there is a hole per say that seems to be bleeding out of a bump or tumor on the tip of my Cream Legbars (Chippy) wing. I've tried wrapping and adding antibiotic ointment for the last 2 weeks but it doesn't seem to heal. Just wondering if anybody else has had an issue such as this before.

I've been using bacitracin (Neosporin) after cleaning it out. It is an odd wound. A couple years ago my Buff Orpington was attacked by a neighbor's dog (she recovered) and had many puncture wounds. This to me seems more like a different sort of issue. Definitely not bug related (tried probing for maggots) and it seems to be just below where the feathers emerge but bleeds similar to a blood feather.

Her flock has been mixing with the older flock(s) and there has been a bit of pecking going on though she seems to be higher up in the order. But the location under the wing leads me to believe it probably wasn't from another chicken.

Thank you for the response and hello Wisconsin!

If you can find Vetericyn, I would try that. I helps heal wounds faster.

I have no idea what could've caused this, I haven't had experience in blood feather before.
Do you free-range your flock, it may be a predator attack that she got away from but the predator snagged her wing.

Yes, they are allowed free range though only a couple hours a day. Definitely have stray cats, skunks, opossum, red shouldered hawks, cooper hawks, fox basically plenty of predators. I'll stop by Orscheln's tomorrow and try out the vetericyn.

Again thank you for the info and hopefully I will be able to post a healthy Chippy pic soon.

Back
Top Bottom