Injury vs Marek's?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bbowen, May 21, 2010.

1. bbowen

bbowen Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2009
    Moira, NY
    I've got a limping 19 week old Barred Rock. Left leg. This chicken is accident prone. She ripped off a nail a few weeks ago ( other foot) and she is the outsider. The rest pick on her.

I'm wondering how to tell a leg injury ( sprain, etc) from the effects of Marek's?

Thanks.

2. silkieroo

silkieroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Durham NH
  3. SAORSA

SAORSA Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Wine Country
  4. bbowen

Dec 31, 2009
    Moira, NY
    Thanks. Her eyes appear normal. When is the onset of that eye discoloration? She's still limping but other than that I don't notice anything different. She's eating fine and drinking and laid an egg.

I don't see or feel anything obvious for injury to her leg.

5. bbowen

Dec 31, 2009
    Moira, NY
    Now, she's panting. I let her out to be with the other today but I have put her back in isolation for the night with diluted asiprin water.

How fast does this progress if it is Marek's?

6. babsbag

babsbag Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    Anderson, CA
    I'm sorry about your hen. They don't always get the eye problem, nor do they always get a limp. I have lost 2 to Marek's. One I nursed for 3 weeks before she died, and the other one was about 3 days. Both of mine started just looking a little droopy, and my first one had problems with her neck. She wouldn't straighten it out, kept it tucked into her chest. She didn't eat or drink after about a week and I forced fed her. My other one was different. I thought he had an impacted crop. I treated him for that for 2 days and the last morning he was walking around my bathroom while I fixed his breakfast and 10 minutes later he was dead. It was literally like he had a heart attack.

I had necropsies done on both birds and they confirmed that is was Markek's. These are the first chickens ever on this property and came from a very healthy flock. I have another hen that definately has the disease and she has the gray eye. I don't know how long she will be with me. She is not quite a year old and has stopped laying. Another hen that is raising her brood has a comb that has turned very pale. I am fairly sure that it is Marek's as well. They say that I can expect to lose 80% of my flock. It is very frustrating and devasting. I have vaccinated all my chicks and hope for the best.

Good wishes for you and your birds. [​IMG]

Oh, and some birds do recover but remain carriers.

Last edited: May 24, 2010
  7. Supermommy486

Supermommy486 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    South Central Texas
    Sorry to kinda hijack but quick question. If a chicken has gray eyes does that automatically mean they have Mareks? Can they not normally have that color of eye?

8. babsbag

babsbag Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    Anderson, CA
    I am really not sure about the eye color being "normal". All my chickens have brown eyes. The one that I suspect has Marek's has a gray iris in one eye, her other one is brown. I believe that she is also blind in that eye.

9. bbowen

Dec 31, 2009
    Moira, NY
    Well, she managed to dig a big hole in the yard and dust bathe herself. She was using the injured foot to kick up dust. I took her out of the hole to see what was up and she refuesed to stand. After some time she stood up. Limp seems better but it hard to tell.

I think I'll still isolate her at night. I don't want her jumping/getting pushed off the perch. Going to try more aspirin,MSM, and maybe some Arnica cream on the leg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by