injury while mating???

AHappychick

Wanna-be Farmer
11 Years
Dec 16, 2008
westchester
I found my light my light Brahma yesterday all messed up. She was fine an hour earlier but must have had a tough time with my new roo when I was not looking.

My last and only roo I ever had was quiet gental with the ladies so i have never delt with this before.

All of her back neck feathers are gone, nothing but red bumpy skin. and she is struggling to walk. I removed her and put her in a quiet cage for now and have been treating with yogurt and other goodies, and she seems able to walk just painfully.

Maybe while trying to mate her she fell? I am not sure, and am afraid that a second round with him might lead to a scalping like I have seen in other posts. After a week or so should I try to re-introduce or should I keep her away from him from now on?

I looked over all other chooks and they seem to be handeling him fine.
hu.gif

Does that happen often?

2 weeks ago I noticed that one of my Light Brahma hens had a big gash on her side, under her wing from mating. Luckly she is healing up fine. Since Brahma roosters are so large, its no wonder the hens could get injured. Just keep her confined for a while.

Back
Top Bottom