1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Inner ear infection - ear drops?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Celiandy, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Celiandy

Celiandy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2010
    Port Angeles
    I have a silkie that has been having some respiratory issues lately. He's been living inside and just started seeming better. Today was his first day back outside and he is definitely having some equalibrium issues. He is kind of wobbly and seems a bit dizzy. He doesn't seem to have any discharge from his ears, so I'm thinking it could be an inner ear infection. I am not in the position to take him to the vet, so I'm hoping for something that I can get online or at a feed store. I'm so bummed, I was so excited that he was doing better.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
  2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I doubt it's any kind of ear infection, most likely it's an illness that has neurological issues associated with it, especially since you say he's been having respiratory issues.

3. Celiandy

Jul 2, 2010
    Port Angeles
    From what I read it sounds like they do get ear infections especially after some kind of congestion. Is that not true?

Quote:

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I've never heard of a chicken with an ear infection, but I guess anything's possible.

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Is he with other silkies or mixed flock? Could he have gotten pecked on the top of his head. I read on here that they have a soft place on the head that if they get pecked there can cause neurological problems.

6. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    ON the off chance its an ear infection you could always get some of those kids ear drops from the store. I use a garlic/willow ear drop oil from the health food store for my kids and it works great. If it does not help the chicken you probably did no further harm and eliminated one possible cause of its issues.

7. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

I believe they can get ear infections. I'm not positive that is what my 10 wk old had but I saw her start scratching her ear frequently and then she started falling over. I took her to an avian vet and he gave her a supplemental feeding and a shot of baytril. I kept her in and gave her oral baytril twice a day for 3 weeks and made sure she could reach her food and water, once she started eating again. She did go off her feed a bit so I gave her watermelon, her fave, and yogurt for a few days and mixed her starter/grower in. I gave her a mirror and when she seemed like she could make it around more or less on her own, I put her back with the flock, which speeded up her recovery. Maybe you could try antibiotics in her water. Good luck.

8. Celiandy

Jul 2, 2010
    Port Angeles
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions. He is just finishing up some oral antibiotics, I don't know if they should have protected him from this kind of thing or not. I kind of remember in people that they need ear drops for ear infections, not just a general oral antibiotic. I could be wrong though.

Maybe I'll try some over the counter stuff for him.

Thanks again.

9. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Just a thought, but sometimes the equilibrium issues (aka drunk chicken) is caused by a vitamin deficiency. You could try Vitamins and Electrolytes.

Good luck,

Imp

10. Celiandy

Jul 2, 2010
    Port Angeles
    Thanks, I'll try putting some vitamin drops in his water tomorrow.

Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by