innerds coming out

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenmomma1, Jun 16, 2008.

1. chickenmomma1

chickenmomma1 New Egg

Jun 16, 2008
    We have been away for the weekend and came home to a hen squatting and straining. Her insides are hanging out. I put her in warm water and cleaned her as well as I can without hurting too much. She has been separated from the others and survived the night. Now what do I do?

2. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

cry?! What a scarey thing to have happen. Hope someone gives you some good news!

3. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Keep her separated and make sure she stays warm and dry. It sounds like she has a prolapse. You can take some K-Y jelly, lubricate the membranes and gently push them back inside.

She may be egg-bound and trying to lay. Someone else will have to help with what to do for an egg-bound hen.

4. cheeptrick

cheeptrick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2007
    New Hampshire
    We had a hen just recently also who had a prolapsed vent. She may be egg bound...the bath was good...but you need to check her vent to see if an egg is stuck. I vaselined mine up really good and her egg came out unfortunately with a large part of her inside vent. Keep the area as clean as you can...it will get infected quickly. If it appears to start weeping, red swollen...she is definitely infected. You must clean it and push it back inside the vent.
    Preparation H will help to shrink the vent...but with my hen it did nothing because the prolapse was too great.

Good luck to you...

5. chickenmomma1

chickenmomma1 New Egg

Jun 16, 2008
    Thanks for your replies. This morning she looked better and everything had gone back in. Unfortuneatly, she was dead when I checked her after lunch.

6. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

I'm so sorry!

7. Horsewell

Horsewell Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2008
    England
    [​IMG] Poor hen

8. cheeptrick

cheeptrick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Aw...I'm sorry too!!

We had to cull ours...her prolapse was so bad and just would not stay in. After the infection set in...it was time. She was a good hen...laying thru all that pain. RIP

Stay strong [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by