Input on the breeds in our flock?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by russnbecky, Aug 2, 2014.

1. russnbecky

russnbecky New Egg

Aug 1, 2014
    I have guesses but are not completely sure what a few of our hens are. Maybe someone can help me out :)
    I'm sure of the Rhode Island Red, The tiny Bantam Rooster, The Leghorn, and the Red Sexlink. I am not sure of the Americauna/Easter Egger looking bird, the possible Black Australope, and the really neat dark with brown streaks. Any ideas? Thanks
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Griffinsong

Griffinsong Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    for the black bird, look at the soles of the feet. If they are pink she is most likely an Australorp, but if they are yellow she is most likely a Jersey Giant.
    The bearded roo is an EE, your little bantam roo is possibly a Dutch bantam mix, due to the white earlobes, not a pure Dutch bantam though as they have slate legs.
    The golden bird with the dark marks might be an EE too, or just a mix if she does not lay green/blue eggs.
    The other ones are as you guessed, though the RIR is hatchery quality.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
  3. russnbecky

russnbecky New Egg

Aug 1, 2014
    Thanks for the input. The black one does have pink feet and I am not sure what hatchery quality means but we are happy with our egg layers and they are very personable.

4. russnbecky

russnbecky New Egg

Aug 1, 2014
    Actually Griffinsong, I just noticed that you said the EE is a Roo? Gadzooks. Not what I wanted to hear. We thought she was the bitty of the bunch but I guess its just a temperamental rooster. I guess I now have to try and find homes for 2 more roosters on top of the 2 obvious RI reds we have.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  6. Griffinsong

Griffinsong Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    The EE in the third picture is a cockerel, he has those large sickle feathers on top of his tail which are a definite cockerel sign, the other [possible] EE [in the final picture] looks like a pullet.
    Hatchery quality just means bred for production, not looks, not show quality.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  7. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Yep - ITA with donrae.....sorry about the roo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by