[Inquiry] Wing Bands for Quail

Quailsong

Songster
6 Years
Apr 20, 2013
Update: Seems I may have found a site that sells quail-sized bands (for pigeons): http://www.strombergschickens.com/product/Jiffy-Wing-Bands/pigeon-wing-bands

------

Heyas,

After much reading, I've decided to skip the zap straps, spiral & other leg banding methods for my future quail & go to wing bands aka patagial tags. I'd like to ask what sizes of wing bands you use for your own quail, if you do. I'm mostly interested in keeping basic Japanese Coturnix but out of curiosity I'm also curious what sizes you use for your other quail types if you have them.

Also, if you can link a website that sells the wing bands YOU use for your quail, I'd be most appreciative. This is not a thread discussing the virtues of leg bands or cons of wing bands. If they do/don't work for you, that's fine - just keep to the topic, please. Or press backspace if you can't think of anything positive to contribute. Thank you.

So far I've found Zips are most likely fit my needs. You can see them second from the top, here. The smallest size they have there is 2.75. I'm sure that'll be fine for Jumbo Coturnix, but what of regular Japanese Coturnix? Would you use them or have you been able to find a smaller wing tag online?

Thank you much for reading.^^

Last edited:
Thank you. Every bit helps!

Hmm. You know, maybe I should have asked this in the pigeon & dove area. I'm sure some folks wing band their birds there.

But I'll keep this open, hoping someone out there isn't shy about mentioning what tags they use and where.

Edit: I got my partner & I both searching online for Pigeon/Dove wing bands and volia!

http://www.strombergschickens.com/product/Jiffy-Wing-Bands/pigeon-wing-bands

Seems the sizes for them are 1/4" to 1/2". That seems about the right size for a Japanese Coturnix. Whoo!

Last edited:
Thank you. Every bit helps!

Hmm. You know, maybe I should have asked this in the pigeon & dove area. I'm sure some folks wing band their birds there.

But I'll keep this open, hoping someone out there isn't shy about mentioning what tags they use and where.

Edit: I got my partner & I both searching online for Pigeon/Dove wing bands and volia!

http://www.strombergschickens.com/product/Jiffy-Wing-Bands/pigeon-wing-bands

Seems the sizes for them are 1/4" to 1/2". That seems about the right size for a Japanese Coturnix. Whoo!

according to the picture with the tape measure they are measuring 3/4 inch

that the size of a normal Jiffy tag

i don't think national wing bands makes a smaller wing tag

but i know they make permanent metal leg bands that get crimped on with pliers

Last edited:
Oops! Sorry seems this is the other one I was quoting from.

"Secure tongue and slot fastner... adjusts from 1/4 to 1/2" diameter. Applies on leg or wing. Pack of 100."

Hmm, that's interesting. So they can be used for both wing bands AND leg bands. I wonder how they'll do that.

I think I found a uk supplier for you. It seems they even give out sample tags!

Edit: Also, aluminum isn't too heavy in the mail. I bet you could make a friend in NA and have them mail a few dozen bands via simple snail mail letter.^^

Last edited:
Hmm, that's interesting. So they can be used for both wing bands AND leg bands. I wonder how they'll do that.

I think I found a uk supplier for you. It seems they even give out sample tags!

Edit: Also, aluminum isn't too heavy in the mail. I bet you could make a friend in NA and have them mail a few dozen bands via simple snail mail letter.^^

thanks I will check that out

on the leg is the same wrap it round the leg and then crimp it

Back
Top Bottom