Inroducing Bantam rooster to Barred Rock and Wynadotte hens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by sdchickens, Oct 15, 2013.

1. sdchickens

sdchickens New Egg

Oct 15, 2013
    We have 3 barred rock hens and 3 wynadotte hens that are 25-26 weeks old and our neighbor was getting rid of some of his feather-legged bantam roosters. The rooster is 20ish weeks old. We are wondering how we should go about introducing him to the girls? We had him in there for a day and they are pecking the crap outta him =( Suggestions?

2. Pekin bantams

Pekin bantams Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2013
    You might have to consider either having a separate pen and get some bantam hens or re-homing him because they will just hurt him and a bantam rooster is too small to mate with large fowl

3. sdchickens

sdchickens New Egg

Oct 15, 2013
    We knew he wouldnt be for breeding purposes [​IMG]. I've been dreaming of having a rooster and opportunity presented itself, but I'm starting to think its not gonna work? [​IMG] Neighbor doesn't wanna separate from any bantam hens and we don't have another coop for them to be separate anyway. So is there no way to introduce him to our girls at all? maybe would it be a different story if we had raised them together?

4. Janet Pesaturo

Janet Pesaturo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2013
    Bolton, MA, USA
    That's a bad combination, with rooster both younger and a lot smaller than the pullets, and with no friend at all.. Could you return him to neighbor and say you will keep him only if he comes with at least one of his flock mates? You would still need to integrate the new pair gradually to the older birds, but it would be easier. It's also easier if they free range or have a LOT of space.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by