Insane attacking goose, goosie PMS?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Hillsvale, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Hillsvale

Hillsvale Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2009
    Hillsvale, Nova Scotia
    I bought the sweetest African Gray Geese last spring (I think 2 males one female)... they would be about 9 months now. The one I think is a female has gotten NASTY the last month or so she will approach you, head down... sometimes hissing, sometimes looking to bite. If you go near their hut... that's unacceptable to her (especially for me)... she has been approaching me like she was going to bite me!

So tonight its getting dark, Simon isn't home from work yet so I am tucking critters into bed; I finish the layers, gather up the eggs in my sweatshirt front and go to tuck in the geese. So they come to their hut and she decides to approach me... way faster than usual, I put my foot up on her beak to slow her down... she runs and grabs me [​IMG] , lets just say I am glad I am female.... so I have a reaction and grab her back feathers, and loose grip (couple feather though).... she is still attached to my neither region, I grab her again and fling her away.... she obviously got a clue and I got a nasty blood blister [​IMG] ouch! [​IMG]

What has changed my girl to the raging psycho goose...? surely she can't be jealous.... she can't be laying for gods sake winter is starting here.... we had snow!

What are your thoughts on a goosie labotamy, she really needs an attitude adjustment!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Have you checked to see if she is laying? Geese don't really care if it is winter, they'll lay when they are ready. If she's not laying yet, she will be before much longer, you can bet on that. She is protecting her nest [​IMG]

3. Hillsvale

Oct 20, 2009
    Hillsvale, Nova Scotia
    so what your saying is wear protectve crotch gear and go check their hut! [​IMG]

We changed the bedding on the weekend and there was nothing.. hummm

4. Hillsvale

Oct 20, 2009
    Hillsvale, Nova Scotia
    so do they lay in their hut or will they lay outdoors....

The absolutly hate you being in their hut now!

5. Cottage Rose

Cottage Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Mid west Michigan
    Funny story.
    I once got bit in the back of the upper thigh.
    That felt good. [​IMG]
    Your goose (are you sure its not a gander?) is just growing up and becoming more independent.
    My spring gosling's are starting to get hissy and less friendly.
    They're just being geese teenagers and thats okay.
    A little trick Carla Mitchell taught me is to grab the juvenile delinquent by the neck,
    hold securely in a hug while calling them insulting names and rubbing them all over.
    (calling them insulting names optional)
    Or you can pin them to the ground and hover dominating over them.
    They hate this and this insulting treatment usually makes your average offenders
    steer clear of you for a good while if not permanently.
    Repeat lesson as necessary.
    You just have to let the bossy-brats know whose boss.

6. Hillsvale

Oct 20, 2009
    Hillsvale, Nova Scotia
    well I assume this one if female because it looks different than the other two... slightly more like the females I have seen, the voice sounds like what I heard female vvoice were and my "males" have angel wing, one both, one just the one..... I understand angel wing is much more prevalent in males? Though two females and one male would be excellent... Africans are rare here.

There is absolutely NO WAY I could have grabbed that bird and played "pin the puppy" .... I had a sweatshirt full of eggs first off but between this birds size and agility and I have a spinal injury which leaves me unable to bend and twist quickly.... though you wouldn't have know that when the little cow bit and held me...... I know this is a family site but seriously I never thought a goose could be that "fresh" [​IMG]

7. 2468Chickensrgr8

2468Chickensrgr8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    Ontario
    [​IMG]

Ahhhh ! thats what I am doing wrong ....its the insulting names ...that's what I should be yellin'.....glad I live in the country ...
    I have spring geese/ducks also and I have two muscovydrakes that are always trying to pinch me ...just lately ...and wont back down ....tonight I picked one up and tucked him under my arm holding one leg and walked around the yard doing my chores with one hand ....I should have been telling him off ....the geese were looking at me funny thou ....I think I have to say good bye to some drakes ....too many

8. Hillsvale

Oct 20, 2009
    Hillsvale, Nova Scotia
    Ohh but I love my geese.. that and I couldnt carry one of these bnch around... they weigh about 25 pounds each, perhaps I should teach her a lesson and show her what a weaner pig can do bite wise!

9. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:If they are used to going in their hut, that's probably where they will lay. If I remember correctly my American Blue goose was protective of her nest area some before she started laying, but got REALLY grumpy after she'd been using it a while.

10. Hillsvale

Oct 20, 2009
    Hillsvale, Nova Scotia
    Quote:If they are used to going in their hut, that's probably where they will lay. If I remember correctly my American Blue goose was protective of her nest area some before she started laying, but got REALLY grumpy after she'd been using it a while.

great... [​IMG]

Guess we better practicing our goose strong hold manouver.... their hut is 4x4 with 2' sides going to a peak on 4'... no room for a cranky what not

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by