Insane chickens or just a dust bath?

jecombs

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 31, 2011
I'm new to chickens. I have 5 BOs that are a little over a month old. Today I found one laying in a little pit it had dug in the coop in the shavings. At first I was really worried and thought she was sick or injured, but then she started kicking all the shavings up through her wings. Then one of the roos laid down and joined her! It was really bizarre looking, but also funny and cute. Since two of the them were going at it, I'm guessing they weren't having seizures of anything... Was this just a dust bath?

My older chicks are just learning how to do this and it's halrious to watch. They will get bedding on the younger ones and then peck it off
smile.png

Yes theoldchick! That's just what they looked like! It kinda freaked me out because the one hen kept closing her eyes. Glad to know this is normal, albeit funny, chicken behavior.

I assume mine are learning to dustbathe too. The one esp kept laying down on her side and kind of stretching out...while eating even a couple of the times. I did put some dirt in their run. They pecked at it and one laid on it for a few secconds.

Our chickens do this all the time, but there is still at least once a week that I'll have to check to make sure the chicken isn't dead!
lol.png
It's like they try to twist themselves and crumple up so crazy so I'll look.

The two aren't exclusive, by the way. Yes, they are insane but yes, they are taking a dust bath. hehe.

Back
Top Bottom