1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Insane chickens or just a dust bath?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jecombs, Apr 6, 2012.

1. jecombs

jecombs Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2011
    I'm new to chickens. I have 5 BOs that are a little over a month old. Today I found one laying in a little pit it had dug in the coop in the shavings. At first I was really worried and thought she was sick or injured, but then she started kicking all the shavings up through her wings. Then one of the roos laid down and joined her! It was really bizarre looking, but also funny and cute. Since two of the them were going at it, I'm guessing they weren't having seizures of anything... Was this just a dust bath?

2. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Yep :) and, it just gets better to watch as they get older :)

3. johncv

johncv Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2012
    louisiana
    dust bath, they love them, and will take one everyday. they do it to get the mites off them.

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Death by Dust Bath

[​IMG]

Just kidding she's fine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. dodgewoman

dodgewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    My older chicks are just learning how to do this and it's halrious to watch. They will get bedding on the younger ones and then peck it off[​IMG]

6. jecombs

jecombs Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2011
    Yes theoldchick! That's just what they looked like! It kinda freaked me out because the one hen kept closing her eyes. Glad to know this is normal, albeit funny, chicken behavior.

7. Cheyenne2929

Cheyenne2929 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2012
    I assume mine are learning to dustbathe too. The one esp kept laying down on her side and kind of stretching out...while eating even a couple of the times. I did put some dirt in their run. They pecked at it and one laid on it for a few secconds.

8. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    Our chickens do this all the time, but there is still at least once a week that I'll have to check to make sure the chicken isn't dead! [​IMG] It's like they try to twist themselves and crumple up so crazy so I'll look.

9. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    The two aren't exclusive, by the way. Yes, they are insane but yes, they are taking a dust bath. hehe.

10. SilkieChickenLover336

SilkieChickenLover336 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    New Jersey
    is it bad that my chickens dont do that?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by