Insane Rooster Playing Broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by talos321, May 27, 2008.

1. talos321

talos321 Chillin' With My Peeps

I went out to my cage this morning to see if I had any eggs from my three grown hens. My Buff Orp rooster was sitting on two eggs and was puffed up and growling at me and pecking at the hen trying to get into the nest. He did come out when I put out the food. I have never seen such madness. The ways of the chicken just baffles me at times. If only I could train the roosters to be my incubators hehe. If he does it again I'll try to get a picture.

Any of you pros ever seen this behavior?

2. SoccerMomof7

SoccerMomof7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    That is soo funny!!! Good luck with your gender confused roo!

3. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Nope, not gender confused. Buff orp roos make great fathers. They will show the hen where it is safe to put her eggs and also help watch the nest. Here is my silly roo..

[​IMG]

Jody

4. talos321

talos321 Chillin' With My Peeps

My nest box looks almost like that and that is how it would look if I would've taken a picture as the roo looks almost the same [​IMG]

I have noticed too that he will not attack any stray chicks that get into the cage. It's the hens I have to worry about with that. Maybe the good father thing does apply. I've seen a chick hide under him.

Last edited: May 27, 2008
  5. bigmike&nan

bigmike&nan Chillin' With My Peeps

I remember readin here a while back about a family that had too many birds and not enough space for hens to be broody. Their rooster went looking in the run and outside for the hen to find her a place to brood - he spent time laying in the spot he found and clucked to her, it was like him saying "hey this is a good place (just like them clucking to hens when he's found them a treat). Roosters, for all the bad press they get about being aggressive or noisy can be real sweethearts if you watch the little behaviors.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by