1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Insanely silly question

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by bakindance, Nov 8, 2010.

1. bakindance

bakindance Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2010
    Ontario Canada
    [​IMG]

Do chickens need water in the night?

I put all of the girls in the coop part of the henhouse, and closed the door last night. Then this morning I went and opened it. But then it occured to me that they had no water ALL NIGHT!

Is that ok? Or am I a mean chicken mama?[​IMG]

2. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Chickens are night blind. If it is dark they don't need food or water. I don't keep either in my coops.

Matt

3. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    Chickens in the dark won't look for food or water because they are kind of comatose when it's dark and they are sleeping. I have found this to be true with mine! Just make sure they have access to clean water as soon as they come out of the coop in the am. If they had to be shut up in the coop all day for some reason, then be sure they have food and water in there. There is no such thing as a stupid question here! [​IMG]

4. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    Agreed! Every question is valid here!

Mine take a few sips and nibbles before bed, they get up on the roost, and that's where they stay 'til daybreak. They're like little zombies when it's dark. [​IMG]

5. bakindance

bakindance Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2010
    Ontario Canada
    Thanks for not making me feel silly. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by