Insanity at the feedstore.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Arztwolf, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Arztwolf

Arztwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2014
    SW Texas
    There is a mom and pop feed store in a nearby town that gets their chicks in earlier than TSC (late Jan) and everyone who wants/likes chicks knows about it. Some of these people are intense!

They crowd around the bins like the chicks are very rare and covered in gold or something (chicks are normally RIR, BR, Orps or something else common), they scoop out chicks like you would nuts out of a bin and they run the poor employees ragged.

"Do you have X breed?" (Without looking in the bins)
    "Do you have anymore X?" (Same as the above)
    "What do I feed it?" (Sign right next to you)
    "Is that a duck/goose?" (What does that little card in front of you say?)

. They also give you the stink eye if you go near "their" chicks. Last week I thought a woman was going to kill me when I picked up a White Leghorn (note: there were over 50 of them!).

Today all I wanted was Bantams so I was left in piece. Oh, this store opens at 7:30, I got there at around 8:20 today and the madness had already begun. They get chicks in every week through Oct, so its not like they are going to run out of them.

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Chicken maths must be a real problem where you live! [​IMG] I can only imagine what your local drug dealers have to put up with!! [​IMG]

CT

3. Arztwolf

Aug 5, 2014
    SW Texas
    Chicken math goes out the window once you hear the siren song of the Evil Chick! The dealers would die of fright if they met these people. [​IMG]

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    [​IMG]

CT

1 person likes this.
  5. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    People are nutty anyway. These must be the same people that show up for Black Friday sales at 2:30am and riot in the stores over the last toaster.

6. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

[​IMG]

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Somehow, those people do not sound like ones that will actually care about the chicks. I suppose the novelty will wear off fast, and the poor things will be homeless.

2 people like this.
  8. CGilbert

CGilbert Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2015
    Spirit Lake, ID
    Or eaten

9. Arztwolf

Aug 5, 2014
    SW Texas
    I was half expecting some of them to grab a scoop from one of the pecan bins and just start scooping up chicks. [​IMG]

10. shortgrass

shortgrass Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado
    Lol they do that here, too. There are literally people waiting in the parking lot for the doors to unlock at 7 am.

Ducks. If you want ducklings you have to fight for them lol; they're always wiped out an hour after the doors open.

I missed the EEs 4 times last year, finally got some in May. Then there's the bins of 150+ Cornish cross that seem to ALWAYS be a special order for someone, but they won't order an extra 12 for me, only 50 :p

I don't even know who is raising all these chickens lol; the town we go to for feed doesn't even have a backyard chicken ordinance, so there must be a LOT of chicken dinners around here ;)

Buff Orps and Barred Rocks will still be there a week later though; everyone has 100 already :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by