1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Insect Treat Options

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by centrarchid, May 6, 2011.

1. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I use insects as treats in my training regimen. Generally most practical form is mealworms but they are pricey. Crickets also good and birds seem to love the chase crickets provide. Today I used Can O' Supermealworms by Zoo Meds. Birds pounded them down. If they came in a larger container than 35 g they might be more cost effective than live version. I also have seen a dried version used for song birds. Has anyone tried feedings those to chickens?

2. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I did and the chickens thought they were delicious! Santa brought them for Christmas one year. [​IMG]

3. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Did the birds seem more agressive in feeding upon them than for grains? I want birds to be willing to invest flight for food. Mine will not do so for scratch or other prepared feeds.

4. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    They really like all insects and they also really like hulled sunflower seeds. Those are my best bribes.

5. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Quote:y

My birds certainly like sunflower seeds as well but they will not fly readily for them. They also do go crazy for insects that have been dead for a long time. It is my hope the dried mealworms are preserved such they still have enticement value greater than something like sunflower seeds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by