Insecticide?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by lambeke1, May 16, 2011.

1. lambeke1

lambeke1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2011
    I am building my new coop with some recycled wood and some of it has a little termite damage. I don't see any active termiites but would still like to treat for them. My chicks won't be in it for 2-3 wks. My question is, is there a safe insecticide to use that will kill the termites and not harm my chicks? I posted this same question in "Managing your flock". Hope thats ok. Wasn't sure best place to post.

2. CupOJoe42

CupOJoe42 CT Chicken Whisperer

Apr 11, 2011
    Maybe Sevin (check packaging) - I know it's safe for poultry, but don't know if it is used for termites. You can call around to veterinarians, feed stores, termite removal companies, etc. to double check. Even an approved insecticide is toxic and must be handled with care, so read labels and follow all precautions.

You might be better off cutting off or not using the damaged areas of wood. Better safe than sorry!!

3. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    Sevin should work - if not - look for something that kills ants. There are also ortho termite sprays that are safe after they dry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by