1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Insects for Sunny, good or bad?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Pet Duck Boy, Jan 25, 2010.

1. Pet Duck Boy

Pet Duck Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    Hey all, I'm starting to notice a trend for my pet duck Sunny. She's a VERY picky eater. I offered her a big bowl of duckweed for her as a treat this morning before I fed her, and she denied it. She took one big gulp, and threw it all up. I was almost positive she would love the stuff, but oh well. So far, she only eats her chicken layer mixed with a little bit of cracked corn. And iceberg lettuce. I've tried everything else, almost every single vegatable I could find at publix. But after one bite, she ALWAYS throws it up. She'll eat just a tiny bit of rice...but thats all. I've tried peas, watermelon, tomatoes, seed sproutlings...but no luck. I really want to give her a little variety in her diet, and the only other food she will eat besides her feed is insects and fish. I don't like feeding her fish, mostly because it makes her poop smell 10 times worst than mine....lol. She's always loved insects. So I was wondering about breeding roaches, mealworms, and superworms to feed her. I'm kind of questioning the roaches, mostly because I've bred them before. I illegaly ordered exotic roaches over to FL, which is well....illegal. I had them for 2 years to feed my reptiles and a raccoon ended up tipping the box over. And to this day I swear I've found at least 5 of the same roaches around my area....don't be surprised if a new species of roach appears in florida...lol. Anyways, and mealworms good for ducks? I was thinking of giving Sunny a bowl of them once a week. But can adult ducks develop angel wing? How much is too much?

2. Shadowhills Farm

Shadowhills Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Crystal River, Fl
    Have you tried grapes or scrambled eggs? Those seem to be a favorite for our ducks.

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    my ducks loved to chase insects all over my yard...
    So, i'd say that, yes, insects are okay for ducks..
    Also...i used to feed mine meal worms...they LOVED them!

4. Pet Duck Boy

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    No I haven't. Sunny is always reluctant to try new foods though. It took her 2 days to start eating rice, and even then she barely ate any. But I'll try it.

5. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    You could blend the veggies up with a little bit of yogurt.

6. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:i just noticed that you said she throws her food up??? thats not normal at all.....could she have a blockage somewhere?

7. Pet Duck Boy

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    Sorry, she doesn't throw it up. More like she just shakes the food out of her throat. She doesn't do it often.

8. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:ooh, i see now...
    shes just being a picky little booger.... [​IMG]

9. ConchRepublic

ConchRepublic Looking For My Marbles

Jan 22, 2010
    Dunnellon, Fl
    possibly try mustard greens? Can get them cheap at the grocery store. I know one of my ducks would love lizards. We'd see her running across the yard chasing them trying to catch them.

10. Jess N Jeff

Jess N Jeff Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2009
    South San Diego, Cali
    Try planting something. I swear...every plant in my backyard is bear of its leaves. As far as insects go...let them go to town on the insects. Its protein. I have no more snails in my backyard because of my ducks. I love it!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by