*Insert Blonde Joke Here*

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hippiehen, Mar 23, 2011.

1. hippiehen

hippiehen wastefully exuberant

Aug 27, 2008
    Utopia, Texas
    So my buff catalana that went broody last week is such a dingbat. Twice now she's gone back to the wrong nest... the first time I saw her do it after taking her "daily constitutional" so I immediately put her back on the right nest. Today, I think she was off it for a few hours... sitting on a different, completely empty nest! It's been in the mid-nineties here this week, do you think my eggs will make it? I'm due to candle in a couple days. They weren't cold when I put her back?

Silly chicken.

2. Tokajein

Tokajein Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    They should be fine [​IMG]
    And something i have always wondered..... Is it possible to leave eggs sitting outside in like Florida and let them incubate like that?
    Like if the temps stayed above 95, and below 103.

3. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    Lmnao maybe she just got confused [​IMG]

4. hippiehen

hippiehen wastefully exuberant

Aug 27, 2008
    Utopia, Texas
    Quote:A couple summers ago I had a (duck) hen sitting on eggs when at 23 days she changed her mind!! I was really busy at the time so I didn't clean out her nest, it was in the 100's and nasty humid - lo and behold a few days later - duckies! It was crazy!

5. 3forfree

3forfree Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    essexville, michigan
    I raised ringnecked pheasants the last 2 years, and sometimes I didn't pick up all the eggs that were layed cause they would just lay them where they felt like laying them. When I found them, and picked them up some exploded in my hand, I'm gaging right now so give me a minute, these eggs had the worst odor I have ever smelled, I"m gaging again. I wouldn't leave any egg out in the sun for any reason. My dogs smelled better after being sprayed by a skunk than the smell that came out of those eggs. THROW THEM AWAY

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by