1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Insert sad emoji here

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by smithbleaufarm, Nov 8, 2016.

1. smithbleaufarm

smithbleaufarm Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2016
    Northville, NY
    [VIDEO][/VIDEO]I'm so sad. My SO said " no more chickens" ...waaaaaa.
    We started our little flock this past April... Okay, I stared on my own and brought home day old babies while the mister was at work.....
    Anyway, I love my babies. They are 6 months old now. They each have their own personality, I love watching them. I started out with 6, then the next day went back for 6 more... Then another 3.... OK so I had 15 baby chicks, who where all supposed to be female. We lost 2 to illness withing the first couple days. So now we had 13 future layers.... Well about 3 weeks old I notice than one of my " chickens" was in fact not a chicken at all.... Didn't know what it was but it was 3 times the size of my other babies..... Turns out it was a turkey...:p well, I thought.... Turkeys will give me bigger eggs, right......
    So, then there was 12.... At 4 months, we heard the cutest little noise coming from one if our " girls"... Only took about 10 seconds to realize we had a rooster. :( Oh no! We cannot have a rooster .....shoot.,. Constantly crowing, the neighbors complained..,.. we had to figure out a way to keep him quiet if we wanted to keep him at all. We bought a chicken collar. Works pretty well. Oh remember that turkey.... Turns out also a boy.... He started getting mean, we separated him from the chickens but it didn't help. He would chase me and the kids and try to bite us ( I don't know if they really bite or not), so last month he went in the freezer to be Thanksgiving. So from 15 chickens i now have 12......11 hens and a roo. 8 of my girls lay eggs everyday. The other 3.... I don't know what they do, between the 3 if them I'll got one to three eggs per week..... They are slackers. Lol.
    Anyway, I wanted to get some more babies to raise .... I only wanted 8-10 more, but the mister says NO......
    But... But..... ( Sigh,)

I tried to tell him that I would get a few layers and some broilers, so they could feed us, he claims that I will love them and name them and not want to eat them...,. That may be true . But I want more babies. How can I convince him I need them?

Here's a few pics of my feathered children.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
  2. smithbleaufarm

Sep 1, 2016
    Northville, NY
    I don't know why only 2 photos showed up. Here's some more [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Love the pictures! Maybe you can sneak a few more in without him noticing.....[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. I talked my dad and mom into getting some more.
    Did you tell him that you can sell the eggs if you get to many?or that the feed us and they are lovable pets?
    Or that they keep ticks and most other pests under control?

5. JennaMW14

JennaMW14 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2016
    :( So sorry sounds like me and my family except it's over getting a ROOSTER, I really want a ROOSTER! :lol: Best of Luck and sorry I couldn't help.

6. smithbleaufarm

Sep 1, 2016
    Northville, NY
    Oh these are very good point ts.. to which I did not think of... I just started with "but but but... Hunnie....I need them" hehehe.

7. smithbleaufarm

Sep 1, 2016
    Northville, NY
    My dear, I have a rooster that I wish you were close enough, I would bring "Mr. Owl" to you. Hes a giant pain in the hind quarters. He will not let you pet him him or any where near him for that matter. He chases the kids, he goes after the dog ( who by the way is a 50 pound Siberian husky). And spend his entire life in what could only be considered a violent raping assult of my poor hens. He does not even try to work them or do a little dance to get their attention, he just takes what wants. One poor girl right after another. I now have him sequestered to his own pen. My girls are happier without having to worry about being jumped on every 30 seconds.

8. smithbleaufarm

Sep 1, 2016
    Northville, NY
    Update,.... Breaking news. I just ordered an assortment of layers and broilers to be delivered in february.... 25 of them [​IMG][​IMG] oh the mister does not know... Ssshhhhhh

9. Leihamarie

Leihamarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2016
    San Diego
    hahahaha... from "only 8-10 more" to "I ordered...25 of them" [​IMG]

Gotta love chicken math! ;-)

1 person likes this.
  10. JennaMW14

JennaMW14 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2016
    Well maybe not a Rooster like that. Lol
    :lol: