inside coop: dark or light?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by joymac, Oct 24, 2011.

1. joymac

joymac Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2011
    Southeastern NC
    I'm brand new to chickens, have a new coop waiting for my little babies to grow big enough for it. We recycled old wood for the house part and although it has a rather large window, it seems dark in there. Is dark ok or would it be better to paint the inside?

2. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    I painted my inside a bright sunny yellow. It seems to brighten it up in there.

You may have a severe egg decrease by not providing light in winter.

3. simplynewt

simplynewt Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Alabama
    My Coop
    I just had to install a window to the back door of my coop (made of plexi-glass, cut to fit) so it would add alittle more light into the coop. There were only two before and they were on the same side of the coop opposite of the nest boxes. Adding the new window was a big improvement for the birds as well as for me as I can now see better in the coop when I go out at night to check on them.

Adding a window is not that difficult as you can pick up a piece of plexi-glass at Lowes and cut it into place in a solid wall of your coop.

4. joymac

Sep 17, 2011
    Southeastern NC
    I have an old transom window on one side and it's about 2' x 3.5 feet wide (the wall of the building is 4 feet wide). I'd send a pic but I haven't posted enough to qualify, that's how new I am! Even with the window though it just seems kind of dreary inside.

5. simplynewt

simplynewt Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Alabama
    My Coop
    As clairabean says, paint does wonders. I have p[ainted my coop floor with a white paint and the walls are a blondish color.

6. fireguy56

fireguy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Hi, Yes, you definitely need light in the coop. Paint or not, not truely an issue...the chickens really don't care. But windows for light and ventilation are a must do.
    Erik

7. nuchickontheblock

nuchickontheblock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2010
    south portland, maine
    Chickens don't see well in the dark, so might be why mine seem happier and prefer being in the light. Even with a couple of windows, our coop seems dim once the season changes and the sun gets lower, so I do add light, especially early morning. But on a dark dreary day, if they might be mostly indoors due to weather, I keep some low light on all the time.

8. Homestead Family

Homestead Family Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2011
    Pleasant Hill, MO
    I think the window will be sufficient but if the painting helps to make it seem lighter, then go for it! What direction does the window face by the way?

9. joymac

Sep 17, 2011
    Southeastern NC
    I think that it faces north, plus the coop is partially shaded by a big ol' magnolia tree.

10. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    I painted mine white inside and am I ever glad I did. My clean out door is a 31X36 glass door which lets light in. I have three other windows and it still seems dark. I hate to think how dark it would have been without the paint.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by