Inside coop lighting non electrical

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by acreativemrs, Oct 29, 2013.

1. acreativemrs

acreativemrs Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2013
    I have 4 ladies who are a year old and are not laying. Have had them since 9/11/13. I have been supplementing with calcium and still no luck. We have no electricity and was wondering what I can use that is non electric to light the coop to encourage them to lay.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Make a window on the east side of the coop to get the morning light.
    Solar and LED.
    You can use an LED light with a battery that will run quite a while.
    Some solar that will give sufficient light for egg laying is pretty inexpensive.
    A well protected oil lamp.

Don't add calcium if the birds aren't laying. They aren't building shells so unneeded calcium can cause gout and other health concerns which will cause them to stop laying.

3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Have you heard of the solar bottle bulb? When I first heard of it, I thought, "what a perfect solution to light in a chicken coop with no windows!" http://www.vagabondjourney.com/plastic-bottles-for-natural-interior-lighting/

You take a liter plastic soda bottle, fill it with water and a bit of bleach, and cut a hole in the roof, suspending the bottle with a third of the top part above the roof line, while the bottom two-thirds refracts the sunlight to the equivalent of 55 watts of electricity. Caulking will prevent the roof leaking around the bottle, and no further maintenance is necessary.

It provides plenty of light during the day to keep chickens laying during winter when they may need to be cooped up.

1 person likes this.
  4. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    You can get a 3 light solar spotlight set with a panel at Lowes for $30. It gives enough light for a small coop. Put the lights where you want inside & run the cord to the panel outside. These are dusk to dawn, so that they will be on at night, but only last about 4 hours in the winter and go off gradually. You can also get a solar shed light, but you would have to turn that on and off manually.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by