Inside coop walls?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by First-time-raising, Nov 12, 2007.

1. First-time-raising

First-time-raising Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2007
    Mid - Michigan
    Has anyone ever put drywall on the inside walls of there coop?

And what do you guys think ? Would the chickens peck at it?

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

I would think the moisture and wet poo, would ruin it PDQ. Maybe if you could get some vinyl ( sp) or plastic type wall paper covering, or a realy good thick layer of high gloss paint. I just used plywood inside mine.

3. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I have paneling on the walls of my main coop. Was a playhouse to start with but I like it & it looks nice. I don't think drywall would be good either I would worry about mold or mildew if it gets wet. Does your already have it installed? If so maybe painting it would help.

4. jubylives

jubylives Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2007
    Central Iowa
    Drywall will get moldy. They have type X drywall which has a fire rating and is semi water proof. They use this a lot in fire/party walls in buildings. It may last longer if you really want to use drywall but you should really use something else.

Jeremy

5. First-time-raising

First-time-raising Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2007
    Mid - Michigan
    Quote:No right now I don't have anything on the inside I was hoping to not have to put anything but I could get drywall cheaper then plywood/OSB thats why I was asking, Never thought about the moisture problem makes since now that you guys reminded me I was just thinking about the chickens chewing it. If I have to put anything up or not depends on the temp I can keep it at inside there. I guess I will do the OSB if I must put something in there....

THANKS

6. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    I also live in MI. We actually insulated the walls in the coop, and put plywood for the walls and painted it with a good oil paint. The wall behind the roost gets a bit, lets say messy at times. You'll want to be able to wash it down at times!

7. chickenranchwife

chickenranchwife Chillin' With My Peeps

I insulated most of my walls, and put plywood over that. I noticed the difference right awy in how much warmer it is in there. I just need to finish one of these first days. Only have one wall to finish.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by