1. dainironfoot

dainironfoot Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2010
    woodburn, Oregon
    Hello guys! Just curious if anybody keeps their chickens completely inside. I have always wanted some Phoenix but have heard that the tails don't do so well in the mud. So I was thinking of making a small coop for a pair inside my shop. It would be well lit but with no access to an outside run. I was thinking maybe 4X8 for a pair of bantam Phoenix. What do you think?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

They would be much happier if you had an outside covered run and put some sand in there. Just my opinion.

3. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    I agree they would be happier and healthier with access to the outdoors. I have a covered run with tarps on 3 sides that I roll down when the weather is wet or snowy. The sand in the run stays dry for the most part. When it does get wet (on windy rainy or snowy days) it dries fairly quickly.

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I *personally* think they would be fine housed completely inside (which is pretty standard for long-tailed breeds. As you said, the mud and such ruins the condition if their long feathers). Things from outside can be brought inside for their entertainment (a pan of dirt for dust bathing, bugs, grass clippings, ect). Just make sure they have enough space and ventilation and you're good to go. Oh, and since you're thinking long tails, maybe a coop that's tall might help as well, so they can roost high without scrubbing their feathers on the coop floor. I'm pretty sure there's a thread in the breeds, genetics and showing section, they would probably be able to offer tons of info on how to house them. Good luck!

5. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    I don't have any experience with long-tailed chickens. Thank you for your opposing (and helpful) view on this topic :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by