Inside duck?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Halion, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Halion

Halion Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2011
    So, I am wondering exactly what measures I need to take into keeping my little duck Peking inside. I live in Central West Florida (Tampa to be exact) and we do have a coon/possum/hawk/owl etc. problem. Peking has a large dog kennel she sleeps in at night outside, but I really don't want to chance it anymore, it's too dangerous around here. She also wears a diaper around the house, but I'm seeing that it is ok and that it isn't ok to diaper a duck for an extended period of time.

If you guys have any suggestion, please throw them out there!

2. featherfinder

featherfinder Runner Lover

I have 2 indoor ducks. They wear diapers most of the day and I change them every 3 hours or as needed. When I am not there or at night time when i go to bed I made them a pen. I bought a plastic kid pool from walmart and the green garden fencing and put that all around the pool and use horse stall pellets as bedding. works very well for me only having 2 ducks.

3. Halion

Jun 25, 2011
    Quote:Oh, neat! I have the garden fencing, too, but I've been looking everywhere for a kiddie pool with no luck. I had her sleep with me last night with her diaper and it wasn't as bad as I expected to change it.

4. featherfinder

If your in Tampa is there a lowes or home depot near you? I got mine at home depot. It was like $10 thein i just put holes in the lip of the pool so i could zip tie the garden fence around it and left and opening of about a foot and over lapped it to where i started and use clips to hold it together. (so i can get in there for cleaning) Just bought a shovel you would use at the beach. ( a bigger one not the small hand ones) and clean it ever 2-3 weeks. Mine have slept in their diapers before to. They eat less at night so its not that bad to change in the morning lol. They actually prefer sleeping next to me but some how they always want near my face and i dont like that lol.

5. Halion

Jun 25, 2011
    Quote:I live by both hardware stores. I looked at Home Depot but they didn't have any. I'll probably go out today and look at Lowes. If anything there's always Craigslist I guess.

Peking slept in my chair right next to me in her dog carrier purse (she has it so she can go into the mall, people love her and so does security). She didn't seem to mind it until 6 a.m. when she climbed out onto the bed and snuggled up against my leg, lol.

Thanks for the advice! I think I'll do that. Now, if I put her "cage" in my room (it's fairly small, but bigger than a standard kitchen) will it stink like duck poo? I'm thinking it ight, but if the bedding soaks it up it shouldn't for a while, right? [​IMG]

6. featherfinder

Depending on how much they are in it determins on the smell lol. It takes 3 weeks for mine to start to smell but i change it before then. Usually at 2 weeks. But with you only having the 1 duck is should last a month or so. The pellets do a great job of soaking up the duck poo and not leaving a smell. If you really want a kid pool I live 30-45 mins away from tampa. We could meet in the middle and i could get you one if you dont want to deal with craigslist.

7. Halion

Jun 25, 2011
    Quote:That would be great! I have a Honda Civic '99 so I'm hoping it'll fit inside, if not I can always tie it down on the roof. I live 5 minutes away from Gandy Bridge. :p It only takes me about 15 minutes to hit Wagon Wheel flea market which is where I got Peking.

Where can I get the pellets and how much are they? I'm interested to start keeping her indoors permanently. [​IMG]

8. featherfinder

You really close to me! I am about the same from the flea market. I go there all the time and i have never seen them sell ducks!!! I live off of 49th st. I get mine at park feed store. Its close to 49th and park right by the railroad tracks. I can pick some of those up tonight as well if i get off work in time and then go get the pool. I will PM you my cell phone number and we can set this up. Maybe we can even have a little indoor duckie get together! lol

9. Halion

Jun 25, 2011
    Quote:Just PMed you back, and yes we can! I go to Wagon Wheel every Saturday with my boyfriend and Peking and I don't ever get a chance to look around because I'm stopped every 5 seconds lol. I use Park feed store now. I did use Amber Glenn but they don't seem to know what they're doing most of the time. [​IMG]

I might actually go to Parks Feed Store today since I need cracked corn. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by