1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

inside henhouse?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kathleen, May 6, 2007.

1. kathleen

kathleen New Egg

Apr 30, 2007
    Hello, Could you please give me some pointers about some of things I need to take in consideration when designing the inside of the henhouse? (perches, boxs, cleaning, layout) Thanks!

2. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    There are lots of pictures in this section and the BackYardChickens coop design gallery which can give you some ideas and pointers.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/coopdesigns.html

Basically you want an area that has enough floor space if the birds are going to be cooped up any length of time. Keep roosts away from feed and water and usually higher than the nest boxes (or the birds will roost on top of the nest boxes). You want ease of cleaning so need to consider if you can walk into your hen house or have to reach inside.

There are a lot of things to consider and no set-up is the same.

3. chickenlips

chickenlips Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2007
    Hi Kathleen, please feel free to check out my posting under "Brand new coop going up!" I just posted interior pics of my coop that's done on the inside and almost done on the outside. It might give you some ideas. Looking forward to seeing your coop posted!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by