Inside of hard boiled egg has purple color layer

Hspk0604

Hatching
Mar 16, 2019
I sell eggs to some friends and she hard boiled her eggs and when she peeled it, the inside albumen layer was purple . She did not dye the eggs. Had anyone ever seen this or know what it could be caused by? Is it safe to eat? Thank you for any help!

Attachments

• 2019031695174352.jpg
    2019031695174352.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 550
Sometimes bacteria can cause different colorations. Also it could be a chemical reaction regarding sulfur from the egg white and iron from egg yolk to form ferrous sulfide at the yolk surface. Can be caused by overcooking or high amount of iron in cooking water.

I would not eat that.
Does it stink?
Looks like there some albumen that's still white.
Would love to see that fully peeled and cut in half to see how thick the purple layer is....and what's inside.

Pink or iridescent egg white (albumen) indicates spoilage due to Pseudomonas bacteria. Some of these microorganisms—which produce a greenish, fluorescent, water-soluble pigment—are harmful to humans.
Source: United States Department of Agriculture

While it says pink, I think I would extend it to include purple and would definitely not eat it.

I would not eat that.
Does it stink?
Looks like there some albumen that's still white.
Would love to see that fully peeled and cut in half to see how thick the purple layer is....and what's inside.
I told her not to eat it . And she got rid of the egg so I guess we won't know what the whole egg looked like . I would have liked to see it too .

Back
Top Bottom