1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Inside of your coop pictures

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by SueMuffin, Nov 15, 2010.

1. SueMuffin

SueMuffin Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2010
    Hudson Valley, NY
    I am very interested to see the inside of everyones coops so I can get an Idea of how to rearrange my new coop. I think I have too much roost space, as my 6 BO hens prefer to sleep in a pile on the ground than to roost. At 8 Months do you think they will ever roost if they havent aready? Also curious about water and food placement and nest box location. Thanks.

2. LaurelRidgeDreams

LaurelRidgeDreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Mountains of NC
    Mine didn't roost either until one night I went in a picked them up and placed them on the roost. They were very upset and I ended up turing on the light and they got down. But, the next night, they went to the roosts themselves.

3. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    My BOs just want to be as high up as possible and by the window. They can't really jump up much more than 2 or 3 feet at a time but had worked out how to get up into the rafters, so I had to block off the ceiling since I was afraid they'd break a leg coming down (I've read that heavy breeds like BO might do that if they roost too high up).

(mine never walk down, they always just jump. I can hear them saying GERONIMO!!)

I made them a roost by the window about 4 1/2 to 5 feet high, and they can work their way up easily. But they didn't like it at first. I did what LaurelRidgeDreams did. I set them on it. They didn't get as upset as hers did but they were not happy about it. Soon, however, they were up there on their own and spend every night up there.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
  4. LaurelRidgeDreams

LaurelRidgeDreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Mountains of NC
    We have a ramp that goes up to the roost and our chickens use it every day. There are some that will fly but most go up and down the ramp, especially down in the mornings.

[​IMG]

5. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    My roost is about 3 feet off the floor, in front of a window. It is across from the people door and I have room to add more roosts or more nest boxes if I need them.
    [​IMG]
    I put buckets under the poop board for nest boxes, to conserve space, but the girls didn't like the buckets and just laid behind them, so I took them out.
    [​IMG]

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If your roost is fairly high, do you have a ladder up to them. Those heavier breeds don't have a lot of lift...lol.

7. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    here are some pics of my coops inside
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    their are some more on my page

8. ZombieChickens

ZombieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

I love this thread! Keep 'em coming folks! I'm getting some pretty sweet ideas for this little gem:
    [​IMG]

My girls are going to think they're in a mansion compared to the old place:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by