Inside or Out for the Day?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by JenniferK, May 17, 2011.

1. JenniferK

JenniferK Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    Northern California
    We have a 4 week old BEI duckling that was the only survivor and we decided to raise her alone. She's been in the house with tons of attention, and often goes places with us, but today we're going to be gone all day to somewhere she can't join us. Unfortunately the weather is pretty yucky -- about 55 degrees and a little rainy. I have a small outdoor pen for her where we put her sometimes when we're outside. It has water to play in and a shelter, and is adjacent to the other ducks so they can all see each other. Aside from her father looking like he's on a mission to take her out, the other ducks and the duckling appear to be mildly interested in each other, or at least the other ducks wonder why the can't have her water too. She's partly feathered, but definitely not totally. So do we leave her outside today where she'll have a lot more room and the company of other ducks, or do we leave her in the house where we know she'll be warm but possibly lonely and bored?

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I would only leave her outside if there was a heat source. She might get chilled with that yucky weather and her not being totally feathered out yet.

3. JenniferK

JenniferK Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    Northern California
    OK, thanks. At least she'll have the cat for company. [​IMG]

4. DuckDuckDuckGoose

DuckDuckDuckGoose Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    The Great Northwest
    Quote:She will be warm enough, and just wondering does the outside run completely enclosed? And if u do keep her out, give her some place to go to get out of wind/rain. but as far as being cold, no. I wish I had a down coat and feathers! lol I put my Pekins out when they were a Mo. old and I live in western washington with temps. hovering at 50-55 deg. rainy/windy.
    hope this helps,
    T.

Last edited: May 17, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by