Inside Out Chick butt

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Poupoulles, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Poupoulles

Poupoulles Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Mayberry (really!)
    Hi, I have Freedom Ranger chicks in the brooder, about 5 days old or so.
    THis AM I found one that had a part of its gut hanging out of its vent. I thought it was a big bloody poo, but no, it was an actual "inside." About a half inch of bowel (I think) It obviously had a lot of blood in it as well since it was liver colored.

So I put the chick out of its misery but I wanted to know- is this caused by impacted vent? I have not seen any pasty butts out there. Or can it be the other chicks yanked it out with too much picking? I have not seen much picking but you never know. They are not the nicest chickens in the world though they are delicious. Or can this be an internal obstruction that it just couldn't pass and so it was like a prolapsed anus kind of thing?

I know this is all on the graphic side- but I would like to know to help any further recurrence for the others.
    I have pictures if neccessary but I think you can "see" based on my descriptions. Let m know if I need to add pics.

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

It could have been a prolapse or it could have been injury by the other chicks.

3. Poupoulles

Poupoulles Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Mayberry (really!)
    Thanks- I have not found anything about what causes a prolapse in such a young chick. Anyone heard of this?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by