Inside out egg and I'm freaking!! Pics!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Serrin, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Serrin

Serrin Chillin' With My Peeps

Late this morning, DH calls me over to inspect a bit of an anomaly on the ground out by the storage shed. This is an area that the girls like to free range in (where don't the like to free range? [​IMG] ) and is far from their coop. If this were a completely isolated incident, I'd probably just chalk it up to "one of those weird things that sometimes happens with eggs" but this is (I think) the fourth or fifth time this has happened.

The previous times it has happened it was sometime during the night, after the girls have gone to bed in their coop, or early morning before I let them out for the day. I'll come out in the morning to discover someone has laid a shell-less egg.

There's never even so much as a fragment of an eggshell to indicate that perhaps I had an egg hungry girl out there. Usually, there's just a hint of yolk, and a fair amount of the white. And even though I inspect every-one's beaks for incriminating evidence of yolk on their little faces, I've never found any!

But this time....well...I just freaked when I saw this. I'll let the pictures tell the story:

[​IMG]

In this second picture, I've placed my car key in the picture to give you an idea of the size of the whole mess:

[​IMG]

If anybody knows what's going on here, I'd sure like to hear your thoughts. Like I said before: if this were an isolated incident, I'd let it go, but this is about the 4th or 5th time we've had evidence of an incomplete shell-less egg being laid. This one is quite different though. As you can see there is something like the inner lining of the eggshell there. A perfectly formed yolk as well. This mess is far more complete, in other words, than what we've witnessed before.

I keep plenty of free choice oyster shell both outside and inside the coop so the girls have access to it 24/7. Their diet consists of all kinds of goodies year round. Yes, I'm one of those crazy people that hits the produce section of the grocery store every week in the winter just to assure that my girls have the very best of greens and other treats that I can afford!

At this time of the year, they are gorging on lots of plant material, bugs and of course their usual ration of scratch mix every day. I assure you, they're quite fat and happy. [​IMG]

I have a hard time believing this is a dietary issue, though I freely admit that I've not gone so far as to give them yogurt as yet. I'm holding off till winter to try that little trick! [​IMG]

I don't even have a clue as to who is doing this. Right now I'm more wondering if this is something I should be really anxious about, or, is it just one of those things? [​IMG] My worst fear: Is this the warning signs of a girl who is about to become egg bound?

So, again...anyone with any experience with this same thing, please, your thoughts and recommendations would be very much appreciated. Please, tell me I'm an over protective chicken momma and that there's nothing to worry about! Please! Oh please! Oh PLEASE!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Some of them have a "glitch" in the system from time to time and lay a shell-less egg. Some hens just skip the calcium feeder and lay shell-less or soft shelled eggs. One of my blue Orp hens' first egg looked like someone cracked it into the frying pan, but it was on the ground, no membrane or shell.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    My BR laid 3 soft shelled eggs in a row(1 was laid while I was holding her), then she figured out how to lay normal eggs. Is your's a new layer?

4. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    I've also gotten a couple of these "turtle eggs" from my young pullets. I boil them and give them to the dog. I haven't gotten one in several weeks.

5. Serrin

Serrin Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:No! That's part of what is driving me up the wall. All of my girls are over two years old now, with the exception of the BR's that haven't started laying yet and probably won't for at least another month or two....I'd have to check the feed store receipts to be sure. Everyone else is well experienced! I'm just completely at a loss here! [​IMG]

6. tinabrat1

tinabrat1 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2009
    I'd like to first say that I am new to chicken rearing, but have read many books to prepare. my pullets just starting laying about 3 weeks ago, we have have 2 of these shelless eggs and 1 egg that was hard on the bottom and soft and twisted on the small end(very strange). from what i understand this is very normal for the first couple of months, but is also quite common towards the end of a hens productivity. also, i have read that if a hen eats too much, treats, vegitation and scratch she may not eat much regular laying feed which has all the essential nutrients. I'm sure it will be fine.[​IMG]

7. TipsyDog

TipsyDog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2009
    Aregua, Paraguay
    I'm thinking it's a normal cycle in chicken menopause. She'll probably lay just fine again, but it could be the start of her slow down.

8. weaveagarden

weaveagarden Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2009
    Hoquiam, Wa
    Maybe your BR is laying early.

9. basicliving

basicliving Keepin' the sunny side up

Mar 20, 2008
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    I have only experienced this in new layers when I first got my flock. I don't know if this would work for 2 year old layers but what I did was sop leaving layer feed down all day long. Mine free range. So I would spread layer feed around first thing in the AM when I let them out, and again a few hours before they went to bed. The only treats I gave them were high in calcium ie:crushed egg shells, yogurt, cheese, etc. Oyster shell available 24/7. Within a couple of weeks, no more soft shell/shell-less eggs.

Hope that helps.

Penny

10. the lemon tree

the lemon tree Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Freak egg it may be, but the color of the yolk is stunning!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by