Inside Your Coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mnwickens, Jul 25, 2011.

1. mnwickens

mnwickens New Egg

Feb 8, 2011
    I am planning a redesign of my coop, mostly on the inside. I am interested in finding out how others build nesting boxes, roosts/perches, poop trays, food/water access and ways of making cleaning easy and low maintenance. Could any one share pictures or link to pictures to give me some ideas?

Thanks!

Martin

2. LincTex

LincTex Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2011
    Rule #1: Make sure you have good access. Doors (or even whole walls, or roofs) that open to gain access makes everything easier to clean.

Food and water should be out on the ground... they make too much of a mess on the wooden floor (if that is what you have)

Roosts should be higher than the nesting boxes.

3. tiffanyg2

tiffanyg2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    SC
    This is what I just did in mine!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I only have 4 girls and my Roo so I didn't need anything to big! But I liked the natural perches [​IMG]

4. sixty7x

sixty7x Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2010
    Warwick RI
    Sorry I don't have any pictures. I put my roost on the opposite side of the nest box. I also put the nest box in a position where they can't be seen from the outside. From my understanding they like privacy when they are laying. If the nest box has too much of an open view they may lay in a corner or somewhere they feel more comfortable. I painted the inside of the coop gloss white. It's easy to clean and helps with keeping it lighter in the winter. On the floor I put plexi-glass. It's easy to scrap it off and clean. If you have chicks this would be a bad idea. but if i ever did have chicks inside it's easy to take out until they get older. I use a rabbit feeder for the food and poultry nipples for water. Keeps everything off the floor and neat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by