Insight for extra wide chick cant walk

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by gabrielle1976, Apr 29, 2009.

1. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Ok so out of the 11 babies so far one is big wide fat whatever Ill try to post a pic.....
    [​IMG]

he cant walk and seems a bit squishy around the edges sorry for the poor quailty its a cheap cell phone camra, he seems to have spraddled legs sorta but Im not shure if its acutal spraddle leg or just they cant hold him up/
    any thoughts comments?
    Oh and yes I did open the bator and put them in the brooder, the humidity had droped under 50% and 2 were already shrink wraped so I got all of the fuzzy babies out put in more water and wet the sponges and such and locked it back up my fingers are crossed everyone else will be ok the other 8 or so eggs only one seems to be doing anything ,

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  2. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher

Feb 26, 2009
    Southern Pines, NC
    I had a chick like that last week. I think it's legs could not hold it up. Sadly it did not make it. I got the eggs from a friend so I didn't know if it was suppose to be that big or not. I was going to treat it like it had spraddle leg, but it was so fat it made him really upset. He did start getting around better at first, but I could not get him to eat or drink. I'm sorry I can't help you more. I think he will be able to support himself once he gets a little stronger.[​IMG]

3. gabrielle1976

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    [​IMG]

4. gabrielle1976

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    [​IMG] No body else has had a chick so fat it cant stand up?
    What causes this
    Is it just big
    Is thre soemthing wrong with it
    Do they always die?

5. gabrielle1976

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Well he went to a new home today with 3 other chicks , we had three people wanting chicks so we gave them all 4 chicks ,
    He is standing up and staggering around a bit now so hopefully he will contenue to inprove, I told the women about his condetion but she wanted him anyways.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by