Insight into what breed these chicks might be...?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ChickenFox, Mar 5, 2013.

1. ChickenFox

ChickenFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2013
    West Virginia
    First off. Hi everyone! [​IMG] I'm new BYC and new to chickens. Just walked into TSC the other day, saw all these cute chickies and decided to randomly buy some. [​IMG] I bought 6 in all however 1 passed on within 10 hours of getting it home. Apparently TSC has had that happen a lot with their last batch and has offered to give me a replacement when they come in. In the meantime I'm trying to figure out what I brought home with me. They were all in the assorted bantam bin. Sorry for the not so great pics but if I didn't have my hand kinda cupped around them they started freaking out.

You can't see in this picture but this one has feathered legs.

[​IMG]

This one developed adorable tail feathers overnight last night
    [​IMG]

This is the biggest of the bunch.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one is the meanest of the bunch. Always tries biting everyone else's wing feathers.
    [​IMG]

I realize sexing is about impossible from these pictures but guesses are welcome. An on off-hand note they have a heat lamp that keeps the area directly below around 85, they have access to fresh water at all times with a quart waterer, they have feed at all times with a quart feeder. They run around and play and are never bunched up under the heat lamp so I THINK I'm doing ok so far.

2. kzane23

kzane23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2013
    Northern NM
    [​IMG] Black Australorp

3. kzane23

kzane23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2013
    Northern NM
    [​IMG] And this looks like a White Leghorn

4. TravisE

TravisE Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2012
    fayette county wv
    pic 2 and 3. they look to be columbian rock cross. i got 2 from tsc last year but they ended up being roosters.
    also [​IMG] from a fellow west virginian

5. ChickenFox

Mar 5, 2013
    West Virginia
    Thanks for the replies and thank you TravisE for the welcome. [​IMG] I'm amazed at how fast these little ones are growing. They all have almost fully developed flight feathers and I've only had them a few days! On the one that was thought to be a black Australorp, Some of his/her flight feathers are white/yellow could he/she still be a BA even with those? I was under the impression they were all black...unless they turn black with it's first molt?[​IMG] I am completely new to chickens. Been around pretty much every other type of animal except pigs growing up. I always asked Mom why we didn't have chickens and her reply was always they're messy, smelly and noisy. Lol

Anymore guesses are welcome and on a side note I just purchased 6 more chicks. I know what these are though. 4 Red SexLink pullets and 2 Silver Laced Wyandotte. The Wyandotte's were straight run so I have no clue as to their gender but I hope I have at least 1 Roo...if I have 2 my Mother-in-law is getting a new Roo to add to her growing flock. [​IMG]

6. TravisE

TravisE Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2012
    fayette county wv
    with them sex links you will have to get them nestboxes in early. i have four of them also. one started to lay at only 16 weeks. and one that waited til she was 28 weeks. on the 24th i will have had mine for a year.

7. popsicle

popsicle Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, it's normal for Black Australorps to have white wing feathers as chicks.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  8. ChickenFox

Mar 5, 2013
    West Virginia
    Ok here's some updated pics of my little bantams plus 2 of my wyandottes. I'm pretty sure I have a pullet and roo but thought I'd get some opinions on their genders and some more guesses on the bantams breed. [​IMG]

Sweetheart
    [​IMG]

Squeaker
    [​IMG]

Hellion....I'm guessing male purely on temperament since he's taken to trying to flog my hand every time it enters the box to do anything. Thinking about sticking him in my pocket all day and trying to cuddle the attitude out of him. lol
    [​IMG]

Bilbo...for his feathery legs. lol
    [​IMG]

Big Momma... Almost twice the size of the other bantams but not quite as big as the week old Wyandottes.
    [​IMG]

And here's the wyandottes. Got them as straight run but I'm thinking I have a Roo and a pullet.
    Pullet?
    [​IMG]

Roo?
    [​IMG]

They've taken to pecking slightly at my hand but I can't tell if it's out of curiosity or attitude...

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  9. ChickenFox

Mar 5, 2013
    West Virginia
    ...Bump...

10. popsicle

popsicle Chillin' With My Peeps

I think it's still too early to tell gender. Regarding the Wyandottes, it looks like one has the proper comb and the other has a single comb.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by