Inspired by "how are you frugal"... non-working fridge/freezer?

mylittlezoo

Poppy Creek Farm
10 Years
Mar 16, 2009
GA
OK, so while reading the "how are you frugal" thread (i consider myself to be pretty frugal!) I thought of the old non-working fridge/freezer taking up space in my garage.

It's BIG, I mean, HUGE. One of the 5ft tall, side by side things.

I'd love to re-use it, rather than just dump it, and I keep forgetting to put it on CL as a 'just take it away' style freebie.

Soooooo... anyone got any ideas as to how I can reuse it as a cupboard / storage thing for veggies or anything? What do I need to do to it to prepare it? Do I have to remove any of its insides or workings? Apparently a piece of it is not working that would be uneconomical to fix, so there's no point in trying to make it work again. I'd love for it not to become landfill!!

I saw in a root cellaring book that you can bury it and use it for root veggie storage, like carrots, potatoes...I think the book was written by Mike Bubel.

A lot of my reptile friends see non-working fridges as gold and turn them into incubators.

I would personally use one for storage, for all my critter related stuff

I'd LOVE to do that, but I am concerned about whether there's any mechanical or potentially toxic parts of the fridge / freezer that need to be removed... any electricians etc here??
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom