Installed our timed lighting system yesterday!

OrpObsessed

Chirping
6 Years
Oct 29, 2013
East Texas
Our hens completely stopped laying. They aren't generally winter layers so it didn't surprise me. I read a few threads on here about timed lighting in the early morning and thought I'd give it a try. Our lighting system goes on at 4am and off at 8am. I know it may work better if I slowly get it up to a couple extra hours of light 15 minutes at a time, but I simply have too much going on to mess with it right now...so here's hoping for eggs soon!

I'm in a similar boat. Mine are pullets who are coming of age while daylight gets shorter. I'm tired of them freeloading so I put a light out there on a timer and the same 4am-8am. I also didn't have time to mess with backing it up 15 minutes. My timer is a simple thing so I wouldn't be able to do that anyway.

I'll cross my fingers that we'll both get eggs soon!

We are about to install our system as well. I always tell my girls it is time to pay the rent I best have x amount of eggs in the basket in order for them to get some scratch.

I bought a cheap timer from the Home Depot. I don't remember what it cost, but I want to say it was under $10, maybe half that much. I have it installed out of the weather so it won't get wet.

we also have the timers cost 12.95 and I put it on in the morning early and then at night 3hrs night and 2 hours morning, we have 31 chickens but 2 are roosters, they stoped laying about aug, we have some that are just the right age 24 weeks last fri, I have 9 that should be laying, been getten 1 and 2 eggs a day since aug. I told them they will go to the action like the extra roosters went that was sat, lol today I got five eggs, waiting for the ones that are 24 week to lay then next mth my sex links should lay. then I have 5 little ones I think end of nov they should start.

Back
Top Bottom