Installed our timed lighting system yesterday!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by OrpObsessed, Nov 3, 2013.

1. OrpObsessed

OrpObsessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2013
    East Texas
    Our hens completely stopped laying. They aren't generally winter layers so it didn't surprise me. I read a few threads on here about timed lighting in the early morning and thought I'd give it a try. Our lighting system goes on at 4am and off at 8am. I know it may work better if I slowly get it up to a couple extra hours of light 15 minutes at a time, but I simply have too much going on to mess with it right now...so here's hoping for eggs soon!

2. 3chickchicks

3chickchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2013
    N. Texas
    I'm in a similar boat. Mine are pullets who are coming of age while daylight gets shorter. I'm tired of them freeloading so I put a light out there on a timer and the same 4am-8am. I also didn't have time to mess with backing it up 15 minutes. My timer is a simple thing so I wouldn't be able to do that anyway.

I'll cross my fingers that we'll both get eggs soon!

3. OrpObsessed

Oct 29, 2013
    East Texas
    Lol, Freeloading! Ain't it the truth!
    When did you start?

4. CherishHolland

CherishHolland Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2013
    Canyon Texas
    We are about to install our system as well. I always tell my girls it is time to pay the rent I best have x amount of eggs in the basket in order for them to get some scratch.

5. OrpObsessed

Oct 29, 2013
    East Texas
    Lol, yep!

6. chicken man1971

chicken man1971 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 10, 2013
    I need to try this but don't have a lot of extra money I am interested what kind of timmer u are using

7. jedgell

jedgell Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2013
    Mid Michigan
    I bought a cheap timer from the Home Depot. I don't remember what it cost, but I want to say it was under $10, maybe half that much. I have it installed out of the weather so it won't get wet.

8. jedgell

jedgell Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2013
    Mid Michigan
    It has lasted at least 2 winters for me. Pretty reasonable.

9. chicken man1971

chicken man1971 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 10, 2013
    ok thks I am going to try it and see if it will help

10. gilcamp4

gilcamp4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2013
    delaware
    we also have the timers cost 12.95 and I put it on in the morning early and then at night 3hrs night and 2 hours morning, we have 31 chickens but 2 are roosters, they stoped laying about aug, we have some that are just the right age 24 weeks last fri, I have 9 that should be laying, been getten 1 and 2 eggs a day since aug. I told them they will go to the action like the extra roosters went that was sat, lol today I got five eggs, waiting for the ones that are 24 week to lay then next mth my sex links should lay. then I have 5 little ones I think end of nov they should start.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by