Installing a fan in my new coop to increase air movement!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by 2DogsCoop, Mar 30, 2011.

1. 2DogsCoop

2DogsCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2011
    Naples, FL
    I bought this today to install in my new coop. I have been monitoring the temperature inside the coop to see if I need to add more vents. The temp doesn't get much more than 5 above the outside temp but there just wasn't much air moving. I thought about installing a ceiling fan but I didn't like idea. So today I did some research and found this fan, it is made for moving a lot of air. It just plugs in to the outlet and has 3 different speeds. I am probably going to install a temperature switch to turn it on at a desired temp.

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    And then what do you do when the electricity goes out?

It is a whole heck of a lot more practical to just have adequate passive air exchange i.e. in Florida you cannot have an enclosed shed-type coop, you gotta have one or more walls all- or mostly- wire mesh. That will take care of the indoor temperature MUCH more economically, safely (fans clog with coop dust and can start fires), and reliably. Also cheaper to build.

JMHO, good luck, have fun,

Pat

3. 2DogsCoop

2DogsCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2011
    Naples, FL
    Quote:Don't have to worry about that we have a built in back up generator and if that should (never has) fail we have portable generator to back feed the house. It did get fairly hot in the coop because of the metal roof, so I put in 2 inches of foam insulation on the roof and it has made a world of difference. I will monitor the temp very closely. I will not get my 5 RIR until the end of April and I have been checking the temperature every day when it is hottest. We will be installing went around the top of the walls this weekend which will also help. Thanks for the advice, I will absolutely keep a close eye on this.

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Well that still leaves the upfront cost plus the thing clogging with dust and either breaking or actually catching fire, as significant (IMO) disadvantages.

Honest, what about if you first just TRIED cutting ample ventilation openings, and see how that works first? [​IMG]

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by