installing a fan on a hovabator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Danny81577, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Danny81577

Danny81577 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Fredericksburg,VA
    I have some eggs in my still air hovabator and I want to install a fan in it to get the air moving around a bit. My eggs are on day 4 now would it hurt them if I stoped it for a couple of minutes and installed it really fast ? Or would the fan couse the temperature to change allot?

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Drastic temperature change. I would wait till its empty.

3. josh

josh Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Western Kentucky
    Then hen has to get off every now and then. It will be fine if you do it in just a few min.

4. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

In a incubator with no fan thermal layering happens. Hot are rises to the top an cold air settles to the bottom. For the temperature to be 101 at the top of the eggs the thermostat is set to something like 105 because it higher an in hotter air. If you add a fan then thermal layering no longer happens an the incubator heats up to the 105 or so that the thermostat is set to. So its better to add a fan when it is empty so you can readjust the thermostat without cooking any eggs.

5. josh

josh Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Western Kentucky
    I added mine and it was ok. But I never really had a good hatch in the hova with or without the fan. Never got a good hatch till i built one out of a mini fridge.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by