Installing a warm glow light in the coop?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gwydiana, Oct 19, 2013.

1. gwydiana

gwydiana Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2013
    Escondido (San Diego) CA
    My chickens are over 6 months old and still no eggs. I'm wondering if installing a light in the coop will help stimulate egg laying? If so, does anybody have a brand/light fixture they can recommend?

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    At 6 months old, they are still within the "normal" range and may begin laying soon. Have you begun feeding them layer feed?

During their first year, providing extra light isn't really necessary. Pullets will usually continue to lay all the way through their first winter without supplemental light.

Next winter, you may want to provide a few hours of extra light to bring their total time in the light up to 14 hours a day so that they will continue to lay. I just let mine have their molt and then rest through the winters.

1 person likes this.
  3. gwydiana

Sep 14, 2013
    Escondido (San Diego) CA
    Yes, I'm feeding them tons of layer mash and pellets as well as cooking for them every day :) They are spoiled little girls!

4. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    What breed of chickens are they? If they're not production breeds or hybrids, i.e. white Leghorns, Red Sex Links, Black Sex Links, etc., then it's normal for them to be six, six and a half months old before you see the first egg.

5. gwydiana

Sep 14, 2013
    Escondido (San Diego) CA
    2 are Buff Orphingtons, 2 are Rhode Island Reds and 1 is Americauna. We got our first egg this afternoon from my larger RIR. I'm so excited!

I was watching her run back and forth to the coop like a girl in need of a potty! LOL I knew she was getting ready to lay her first egg.
    [​IMG]

6. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Excellent! [​IMG] That will be the best egg you've ever eaten. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by