Installing DIGITAL Thermostat

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by teckkev, Apr 13, 2012.

1. teckkev

teckkev Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsboro, OH 45133
    My incubator has a wafer thermostat. I bought a didgital thermostat off Ebay (China). Only 1 seller had it for Farenhiet instead of Celcius. I installed it, but I can only get the thermostat to power up. When the thermostat is activated, I do not get a current in any of the 2 other connection ports. Can anyone give me their setup if they have installed this same type of unit in their incubator.

My incubator is the Hovabator.

Thanks,
    Kevin
    [​IMG]

2. teckkev

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsboro, OH 45133
    Still haven't figured out how to make thermostat kick-on heating element. I bought this from others on BYC discussing how they used this to replace their wafers. Of course, I can't find the thread now. I had to scrap bunch of eggs since I did not get done with upgrade. I said to myself, "This is going to be easy as 1-2-3". I need to do a 3rd batch of eggs :)

Thermostat and probe are working. When it activates, nothing happens.

Thanks,
    Kevin

3. HatchCraft

HatchCraft Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2011
    North Florida
    I have not used this type of thermostat. I Think the heater connection port won't have power from the controller. This is just an electronic switch. You supply external power to the heater relay connection and the controller cycles the relay.

4. teckkev

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsboro, OH 45133
    Now I'm confused. Its claim was you hook the power to it and then you hook heating element to it and it will activate and deactivate the heating element. The backside has 4 sections with 2 leads per section:

1) Power Supply - Obvious this is for the AC cord.
    2) Probe - For the temp probe
    3) Loading
    4) Function Control (picture above it shows open curcuit).

3 and 4 I'm not exactly sure what they are for. I hope this helps at explaining the setup easier.

Thanks,
    Kevin

5. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma

I don't think that you have the heating element wired correctly to the thermostat that you bought. If you could show about 3-4 very detailed pictures of the thermostat connected to the heating element, and how you have it wired. I would like to help you, and many others have used this type of thermostat, you either have a bad heating element, or bad connection.

Like I said, I would really like to help, and only give my suggestions to help you to make your incubator as good as I could help you to make it to be.

6. HatchCraft

Jan 15, 2011
    North Florida
    The power supply only runs the thermostat. The loading connection is a switch. The symbol shows that. Heating element has 2 wires , disconnect (one) of the wires and run it to one side of the load connection.Run a wire from the other side of the load connection back to the thermostat wire you disconnected and reconnect. The thermostat will switch the heating element on and off.

7. HatchCraft

Jan 15, 2011
    North Florida
    My post should have said back to the heating element wire you disconnected and reconnect . Hope this help you. I'm not very good at explaining things. Sorry.

8. teckkev

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsboro, OH 45133
    I'll get some pics up this evening of it. For now, I can describe it easily:

Indicator light and heating element are connected to a female bullet connector x2 (2 leads) Thermostat and fan go to the male bullet connector x2 (2 leads) on the thermostat, I tried the 2 leads in loading connection spot and then tried it in the function control spot with neither giving results. I have an arcade hobby and wire full size arcades with perfection. I am aggervated and actually embarassed that I am having such a fit with this thermostat.

I was going to buy the Brinsa (typo?) that has every feature you could want, but I invested money into the little giant/hovabator with the different size turners to bail on it. I already carved the lid for this new thermostat to fit. I can't abort and return to the wafer. Even if I buy the Brinea for the incubation, I still can't use the little giant/hovabator for the hatching till I get this thermostat working.

Thanks,
    Kevin - Ohio

9. teckkev

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsboro, OH 45133
    [​IMG]

10. HatchCraft

Jan 15, 2011
    North Florida
    It's clear to me how to connect the thermostat , but explaining it not so easy. I wish I could draw you a diagram.You have a hot and neutral wire from the plug in. The blue heater element and indicator light wire , one of the fan wires and the neutral side off power supply all connect together with the neutral wire from the plug in.. Every component now has common neutral. The hot wire from the plug in will connect to the hot side of the power supply and the fan . Using a short jumper wire connect the hot side of the power supply to one terminal of the load connection The other terminal of the load connection will connect to the black heating element and indicator light wire. The fan will run continuously the heat element will cycle on and off. The load connection is not energized by the thermostat , it's a switched relay . That's why you will have to jump power from the hot side of the power supply.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by