1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Instant Broody Hen!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rosawoodsii, Apr 22, 2009.

1. rosawoodsii

rosawoodsii Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    I've been rather discouraged that I didn't have a broody hen, so I bought a few chicks of broody breeds, and started raising them at home. At two weeks they were flying out of their box, and I decided to move them to the barn. As I was telling my 87 y.o. mother my plans, she suggested I find a "not very bright" hen (are there any bright ones??) and put her on the floor in the hay after dark, and then just put the chicks under her. Well, says I, it's worth a shot, so I did it, and, do you know, that hen is happy as a clam at high tide! [​IMG]

The next morning, I looked in on them in their separate coop, and she was clucking to them. Okay, that's nice, but what about later? I looked in after dark, shone my flashlight around and couldn't see the chicks. I looked some more, and there was the hen on the floor, her wings fluffed out, and one little head peeped up and disappeared again. Next day, same thing. If I'd known it was this easy, I'd have gotten more chicks!

Now all I have to do is figure out when to let them outside with the rest of the chickens--and that includes 2 roosters.

2. I'vegotchickenfever

I'vegotchickenfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Northwest Florida
    WOW - that's amazing! Your mother needs to join BYC. Imagine the wealth of information...
    Thanks to both you and your mom - sounds like an experiment is waiting in the wings....

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  3. rosawoodsii

rosawoodsii Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    She told me that her mother used to do it all the time, and that she's seen it work again and again. I'd never seen her use it before, but maybe she just never remembered until now. At any rate, it was brilliant![​IMG] You can be sure that I'll remember it again.

Will the two very-full-of-themselves cockerels bother her and the chicks, or will she go after them protecting her brood? I'm not quite sure about the dynamics of hens with broods and roosters.

4. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Great story! My broody goes after anything that comes near her chicks, the others back off!! That's been my experience.

5. Mesa

Mesa Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2008
    New Mexico
    I may have to try this. I wonder how young the chicks need to be?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by